Author Topic: EV Maintenance, Brake Caliper Lubrication  (Read 546 times)

tom.hoffmann

EV Maintenance, Brake Caliper Lubrication
« on: August 04, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
This article on EV cost to operate is kind of a hit job. The primary costs incurred were chipped glass and tire replacement. I did think the frequent caliper lubrication (lack of use) was interesting. Maybe periodic aggressive braking should be part of our maintenance routine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/
« Last Edit: August 04, 2021, 03:33:25 PM by tom.hoffmann »

rich.rezny

Re: EV Maintenance, Brake Caliper Lubrication
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2021, 04:06:22 AM »
Cost of ownership of any vehicle is crazy. As a mechanic I see it firsthand. Just today I worked on a 2005 S500 Mercedes-Benz. Needed a radiator, serpentine belt, idler, tensioner, hood struts, tires and some other things I can't remember right now. Grand total of the service was $4500. My Ford Focus Electric needed new high voltage batteries because they had a coolant leak. Covered by warranty. Would have cost me $8000 but it was free. My Chevy Volt just developed a emissions and ICE oil pump problem. Not sure how much that is going to cost yet. I miss my old VW Jetta TDI. Was the cheapest car for me but I'm a mechanic. Your stove or fridge or washer or dryer cr@ps out and its cheaper to replace them than get a service person to come and fix them.

simon.gibson

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
Having personally repaired my own vehicles, and others; I can attest that ICE vehicles are indeed an expensive maintenance item.
The auto service industry is a huge encumbrance to the economy, so when Elon got into the sand pit and changed the rules, the war began. Indeed, you can feel the tension between diehard ICE pundits and environmentally thinking people.
So our challenge is retuning the economy!

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »
Rich Rezney good to hear your mechanic perspective.  ICE or EV they are amazing piece machines.  Interesting that the Volt has most of its problems with the ICE generator you oil, me generator mount. 
For the next meeting I was wondering if someone could speak to the maintenance of EV brakes? I read the article in CarDriver and I had no idea that regenerative brakes had a caliper issue.