Author Topic: Affordable American Made Automobile Act HR 5393  (Read 530 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
Affordable American Made Automobile Act HR 5393
« on: June 12, 2021, 06:45:34 PM »
I just learned about this US Congress Bill that is looking to increase the incentive for US made EV's and used car conversions.  I am sorry if I am bringing up an old topic, but it looks like this bill will give $12,000 for the purchase of a new EV and  $12,000 for   a conversion  of an ICE to an electric vehicle look at section B and E.  Am I reading the bill wrong?

2) NEW BATTERY ELECTRIC MOTOR VEHICLES.?

?(A) IN GENERAL.?The amount determined under this subsection with respect to any new battery electric motor vehicle is?

?(i) $12,000 ($15,000 in the case of new battery electric motor vehicles acquired after December 31, 2018, and before the date which is 5 years after the date of the enactment of the Affordable American-made Automobile Act) if the price of such vehicle is not more than $35,000, and

?(ii) $7,500 if the price of such vehicle is greater than $35,000.

?(B) DETERMINATION OF PRICE.?For purposes of this paragraph, the term ?price? means?

?(i) except as provided in clause (ii), the final sales price agreed upon by the taxpayer and the person from whom the taxpayer acquires such vehicle (determined without regard to any taxes or fees imposed by any State or local government), and

?(ii) in the case of a lease, the price of the vehicle stated in the lease agreement between the lessor and lessee (as so determined).

?(3) USED BATTERY ELECTRIC MOTOR VEHICLES.?The amount determined under this subsection with respect to any used battery electric motor vehicle is?

?(A) $5,000 if the taxpayer trades in a vehicle that is powered by an internal combustion engine in connection with the taxpayer?s acquisition of such used battery electric motor vehicle, and

?(B) $0 in any other case.?; and

(C) in paragraph (5) (as so redesignated), by striking ?a vehicle? and inserting ?a new qualified plug-in electric drive motor vehicle?.

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: Affordable American Made Automobile Act HR 5393
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2021, 04:34:23 PM »
So with 48 views, I am assuming that this Bill is not something people are interested in?  I have written to my US Representative Danny Davis, I hope you might also do the same.  Below is what I sent to my US Representative.

June 14, 2021

Honorable US Congressman Danny K. Davis
7th District of Illinois
2746 W. Madison St.
Chicago IL   60612

Dear Honorable  US Representative Davis:

I would like to draw your attention to bill H.R. 5393 Affordable American-made Automobile Act.  I am a twenty year resident in Hillside IL where I have driven electric cars since 2002.  In the article enclosed it mentions that I converted a gas car to an electric car in 2002.  I wish to ask your support for H.R. 5393 as I believe the act could help the US with dominance from China in the electric vehicle arena.  I believe the bill also could benefit Small Business Auto shops with conversions of gas cars to electric cars.
As I humbly read the bill?s section 4 it mentions that two provisions are to be met, an electric drivetrain, and being made in the US.  Not only will this bill forward the  electric car climate change provisions of President Biden, but it will also reduce landfill waste with the conversion of former gas cars to electric cars, giving them additional years on the road and out of landfills. My conversion took me three months in a simple home garage, an auto mechanic shop could easily do a conversion in less than a month.
Honorable US Representative Davis, please join your colleagues from IL, WI, CA, OH, NY, FL, NJ, and MI in support of H.R. 5393 Affordable American-made Automobile Act.

Sincerely,

Timothy M. Moore
625 Irving Ave.
Hillside IL 60162
timothymoorehome@gmail.com
708-236-0272