Author Topic: Fair share of road taxes ??  (Read 2515 times)

john.emde

• Contributor
Fair share of road taxes ??
« on: June 20, 2011, 02:12:09 PM »
Are EVs paying their fair share of road taxes?

How about hybrids and other economy cars that are getting 40, 50, 60 or more mpg?   That's 2, 3, or 4 times more miles driven than most cars on the road per gallon of gas. Why should we as EV drivers be singled out?  Yea, they're doing their part for a cleaner enviroment,  we are too, but in a much larger way.  Let's not be singled out. It's miles driven that are using the roads.
Putting a lump sum tax on EVs is not the solution.

larry.kelley

Re: Fair share of road taxes ??
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2011, 07:50:09 PM »
We are now seeing the TIP of this iceberg....
If the goal is to transition FROM using ALL gasolene or desiel fuels which are now taxed, all government units that expect users to pay for the roads need to find another way to collect the taxes.  EV's are not alone - Hydrogen and other gaseous fuels such as LP and propane on the same tax free raft right now.  I have not looked for non-US ideas...so what is out there?  There was a time I looked at a neighborhood still to make fuel from local corn....no tax there, either.

chuck.carrington

Re: Fair share of road taxes ??
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2011, 12:57:36 PM »
those using veggie oil or home made bio diesel are supposed to pay tax according to how much they use. I don't know of anybody who does but a few have been caught and charged. Part of the problem is they are supposed to pay but knowbody knows how.

Chuck