Author Topic: Electric motor to the rear differential no tranny  (Read 3849 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
Electric motor to the rear differential no tranny
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:15:15 AM »
Electric motor to the rear differential no tranny.  I saw this topic in another EV forum and I wondered if we had talked about this here in our club.  Steve EK (new EV mechanic in Chicago) has suggested I look into this for my Dakota conversion.  In a preliminary  test of my differential he showed that for one revolution of my tire my differential went 2 revolutions.  At 2000 rpm I would go 1.5 miles, and this was based on the WARP 11 motor (not the TransWarp).  Any thoughts on this approach???
MATH BELOW
Tire Diameter 30.5 x 3.14= 96 inchs for 2 revolutions of the drive shaft.
2000 rpm would be 1000x96= 96000 inches /12=8000 ft  (5280 feet in a mile).

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: Electric motor to the rear differential no tranny
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 02:13:29 PM »
Dodge Dakotas came with a wide variety of differential ratios.  3:92:1,  3.55:1,  3.21:1.  I could not find any ratios that Dodge lists for the Dakota with lower numberic ratios.   In the past, in some vehicles, lower numeric ratios have been used, such as 2.73:1, etc.

Most mechanics will turn the driveshaft and count the revolutions of both wheels, do the calculations and select the closest actual ratio available.  I strongly suspect your differential is not a 2:1 ratio.

More importantly,
putting an electric motor coupled directly to the drive train bypasses the safety of having a clutch or a transmission as a disconnect.  So if your electrics fail to break the current to the motor, you do not have any safety of being able to disconnect the motor.  You will go for a full throttle ride, usually resulting in a very serious accident. At Pioneer, we ONLY build the "direct motor to drivetrain" configuration for drag racing where the losses in the transmission or clutch are important, and where the weight must be kept at an absolute minimum.  ALL conversions we build for the street have a transmission and/or a clutch.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2008, 06:50:35 PM »
I have heard the safety issue and I very much appreciate the perspective as I examine the possibilities.  I have however been driving my EV  at 65 mph  and had the circuit breaker accidentially be shut off by something falling on it ( I have the circuit breaker in the back seat area) and the car quickly decelerated, well within braking capacity.  Also wouldn't full throttle be prevented by the fuse as well?

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 08, 2008, 07:56:46 PM »
Not all conversions have a fuse or circuit breaker so convenient to the driver that it could be actuated in an emergency.  While I am happy to know your circuit breaker can be tripped from inside the car, I do not consider the back seat a good place for a safety switch.

No, full throttle will not be prevented by a fuse, unless your fuse is far too small.  Full throttle is allowed by a properly sized fuse.  If your fuse was sized to prevent full throttle, you would be playing a dangerous game each time you needed to accelerate briskly.  (Trying to accelerate just briskly enough to avoid popping the fuse, vs. sudden lack of acceleration by the fuse blowing)

IMHO, I strongly prefer the ability of a neutral or a clutch release as an important safety factor.

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to