Author Topic: Zom meeting about clean transportation in DuPage County  (Read 753 times)

jeffrey.gahris

Zom meeting about clean transportation in DuPage County
« on: January 14, 2023, 08:21:43 PM »
Something that may be of interest to y'all. It is sponsored by a local Sierra Club group.

Join River Prairie Group January 25th from 6-7:15pm to listen, lead, and share your vision of how transportation can be improved in Dupage County.

Although trucks account for only 7 percent of vehicles on the road in Illinois, they are responsible for nearly 36 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, 67 percent of nitrogen oxide (NOx) emissions, and 59 percent of particulate matter (PM2.5) emitted by the entire transportation sector.

According to a Respiratory Health Association Report done last year, Illinois currently ranks fifth among all states with the highest number of deaths from PM2.5 diesel engine pollution per capita in 2023. These air pollutants are not only harming the environment, but are a leading source of lung damage. Our communities deserve better.

Join us to share your feedback on how we can transition away from diesel pollution - we would love to hear from you! RSVP here - https://act.sierraclub.org/events/details?formcampaignid=7013q000002Nj1SAAS

Jeff Gahris

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: Zom meeting about clean transportation in DuPage County
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2023, 12:01:33 AM »
Jeff,

I have recently come to the realization that work place car charging is likely the key to adoption of both more electric vehicles, and more solar panels.  The key is that there should be enough stations are every work place to allow cars to be plugged in all day.  This reduces the demands on the employees to go move their cars, and enables those stations to be managed much more aggressively as the cars have more time to make up for periods of high demand and low solar output.  The reality is that in many good sun locations prices are the lowest during the peak solar periods.  Illinois hasn't gotten there yet, but we will.  When that happen the utilities will eventually persuade the law makers of our state to remove net metering and start paying us wholesale rates. This has happened in every state where day time prices are lower than off peak, and to expect Illinois to be different is silly.  For the time being net metering is still a good deal for the utilities, they buy our output for cheap, and resell it for more than they pay us.  We need to find more daytime demand, that is able to be managed.  Electric vehicles parked in work place parking lots are an ideal load. 

The employers aren't really doing this, and I am not convinced they are the best people to do it.  I believe the utility providers are the best option.  They are managing the grid anyway, so the chargers would be an extension of that management.  They have the ability to install the service drops to feed the charging stations, which is the most expensive part.  They are obviously licensed to sell electricity by the KWH, and in fact send most of us a bill each month already.  It makes sense for them to install these services at every work place, issue RFID cards tied to each of our accounts, and allow us to all charge on what will eventually become an excess of solar energy during the day. 

Hopefully this keeps demand for energy during the day high enough to keep solar from being uneconomical.     

As far as trucks go, we are a pass through between the east and west half of the country.  The great lakes force traffic through our area.  That means we will need a large quantity of high speed charging for both cars and trucks.  These are different demands, but it's definitely a concern that trucks pulling over a megawatt while fast charging have to get that energy from somewhere.  On a positive note, the same solution above might start to come into play if the utilities put in bi directional stations at various work places.  This would allow them to draw some energy from the vehicles plugged in there.  California is already certifying the F150 for bidirectional grid tied generation, so it stands to reason the utility would use their work there and follow suit.  The difference is that they would be installing and managing the stations. 

bob.kaplow

« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 02:20:31 PM »
Jeff and Jeff;

ComEd is required by law to 'pass-through' electric rates from suppliers. That includes what they pay/credit net metering customers with their own solar. Their buy and sell prices are the same. Their profits come from the distribution side, not generation. Yes, they also own generation through their parent Exelon, but they also buy from other sources on the PJM grid.

I have both hourly and net metering, which means that when rates are high, ComEd is paying (crediting actually) me the high rate for my excess solar; and when I'm charging at night I'm buying back at the low rate. Buy low, sell high! While my solar only offsets about 2/3 of my usage, it covers more than 90% of my bill. And my bill for 8 months of the year is ZERO. So I'm hoping that the current rate structure lasts a long time. And I expect Illinois to continue to have very consumer friendly utility regulation.

A recent Argonne Outloud event filled in an interesting piece of the EV solution that I hadn't seen before. To totally electrify our transportation would take a 25% increase in our grid capacity. But in my lifetime the grid has quadrupled in capacity, so a 25% increase over the next couple decades is not an obstacle.

https://www.anl.gov/event/batteries-a-hidden-key-to-climate-solutions

Perhaps it's time to start building new modern nuke plants, something that hasn't happened for decades. We've been waiting too long for the fusion breakthrough.

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/nuclear-fusion-60-minutes-2023-01-15/

I do agree that charging at work is a needed piece of the puzzle, primarily to offset those people that don't have access to charging at home. We need to get charging stations into multi family dwellings, such as apartments and condos. Even L1 charging at work/home would cover the needs of many employees, and be all that a Volt or similar partial-electric vehicle needed.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2023, 02:45:24 PM »
What has happened in other states is the utility companies convince the legislators to change the laws.  Last time I checked legislators respond strongly to campaign contributions from large corporations.  We could potentially fix that, but it's beyond the scope of the FVEAA to address campaign finance laws. 

25% of grid capacity is no big deal, I will agree with that.  Bringing Air Conditioning to the US happened at about the same deployment pace as EV's will happen.  And AC demand is all more or less aligned to the sun, where EV's can charge anytime.  The trick is to align variable supply with variable demand.  The ways to do that aren't easy unless one company does it all front to back, which is why I propose utility built out EV charging at work place parking lots. 

jeffrey.gahris

Re: Zoom meeting about clean transportation in DuPage County
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2023, 12:08:08 AM »
Great ideas, gentlemen! I look forward to bi-directional charging and more work-place charging. Nuclear energy, if accepted as safe, can play a strong role also.

The Zoom meeting is specifically about providing input into what can happen locally, leveraging state and federal laws and funding. Any thoughts about how commercial truck fleets may be managed? This includes delivery and other vehicles that are typically diesel powered. Of course we can have buses thrown into the mix as well. What other opportunities are there? How do we make them happen?

You are welcomed to sign up and join the conversation on January 25. Past meetings like this informed the new CEJA legislation.