Author Topic: Rear wheel drive American auto with manual transmission  (Read 1263 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
Rear wheel drive American auto with manual transmission
« on: June 18, 2021, 01:55:39 AM »
Could anyone tell me of a rear wheel drive car that has manual transmission and is 4000 lbs or less???  The only one I found was a Jeep Wrangler.  I have only found five cars (made in the last ten years) that have manual transmission and low gross weight and are US automaker cars--Jeep Wrangler, the rest are front wheel drive--Ford Fiesta, Chevy Spark Chevy Aveo and Ford Focus.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2021, 02:04:31 AM by tim.moore »

miodrag.zubic

Re: Rear wheel drive American auto with manual transmission
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2021, 03:01:11 PM »
Not sure about gross weight, but cub weight of Chevy Camaro, Ford mustang, and dodge challenger (all made with manual transmission and rear wheel drive) should be under 4000lb.

simon.gibson

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2021, 05:46:05 PM »
What about an older American Classic? They'd make an awesome EV Conversion and maybe enough floor space for a large number of batteries?
Assuming that is your goal. I used to have a 1987 Chevy Caprice... Take a Lickin', Keep on Tickin'.
I paid $533 for it in 1990 end of lease buyout. I put a muffler, some tires and lots of gasoline into it and sold it for $900 in 1996.

tom.hoffmann

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2021, 11:27:59 PM »
97 Camaro curb weight with 3.8 liter and manual transmission is about 3300#.

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2021, 01:55:24 PM »
Thanks Miodrag, Simon and Tom.  We are looking for repeatability instead of custom work.  EV Converters company wants to use the H.R. 5393 Affordable American made Automobile Act to get a massive quantify  of gas cars off the road by converting them on a franchise scale. 

simon.gibson

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2021, 11:02:07 PM »
I'd be looking at the popular mainstream vehicles so each one is a straight forward process and not too many surprised. Look at SUVs they have the opportunity to add battery pack underneath!

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2021, 01:44:18 AM »
Not manual, but basic work vans never die, they just keep chugging along for a decade after decade. 

simon.gibson

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2021, 11:31:19 AM »
Work vans for short haul, round town trips are an ideal candidate for conversation.
I have a Ford The!nk NEV that has wandered back into my life. It needs a major upgrade and could be the basis of on site transportation, community type application... More laters ..

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2021, 12:42:59 PM »
Vans would be nice Jeff, but I told Rolly that conversion businesses do not make sense unless the EV driver is partnering to do the conversion.  John Emde tried it, but had a hard time sustaining it. With all the new and used EV's conversions only make sense as an educational tool.