Author Topic: Electralander  (Read 1723 times)

robert.schwartz

Electralander
« on: August 29, 2019, 03:24:52 AM »
My motorscooter conversion project has officailly started!
I have bought a 1950 (1955?) Cushman Highlander Deluxe.  It runs (sort of, on the first 2 mile test ride the rear fender fell off) and it has a title.
Beginning stats:
255lbs ready to ride
15ci 5hp flathead engine
80mpg x 2gal tnak = 160 mile range
29mph top speed (checked by GPS - optional Cushman 60mph speedometer not installed)  Current varibale ration belt drive is limiting top speed

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: Electralander
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2019, 11:35:51 AM »
That looks like a fun project.  Look forward to giving a hand!

robert.schwartz

« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2019, 01:40:10 AM »
Small update.  The ugly seat, which has been identified as coming from an excersize machine from the 1970's, the body, and the fuel tank have been removed.  The body will be given to a friend to repair (straightening the luvers, filling in the holes the previous owner drilled to mount that awful seat.  I'll probobly sell the fuel tank. 

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2019, 03:47:05 PM »
Seat from an exercise machine!  AWESOME! 
As often is the case the electrification of the machine is only half the battle, the restoration is a big bit!

robert.schwartz

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2020, 01:10:00 AM »
Status update on the Electralander.  Disassembly of the bike is almost complete.  I have found SO MANY things wrong with this bike (brake linkage only finger tight, chain missing the locking plate for the master link, wires that go nowhere, and a REALLY BIG dent on the left side sheet metal between the floor and the head tube.  There is so much wrong I have decided to completely disassemble and reassemble the bike so that I know it is safe to ride.  So much for a quick engine swap LOL.  It is so bad that I started making a video series to post on youtube.  Perhaps I can use that as a presentation in the next few months - "Electralander pt.1" or "What ELSE is wrong with this thing"  I'll try to post more regularly.  Hopefully the frame, body, and fork are going to the sand blaster in the next week.

robert.schwartz

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2020, 03:36:05 PM »
Extremely small status update.  All of the red parts have been sandblasted.  However, the company that blasted them is now closed, and frankly I'm not legally allowed to go pick it up anyway.  So here I sit with time, but no parts in front of me.  I'm working on editing the video series (I have no idea of what I am doing) and will let everyone know when the first episode is up.

robert.schwartz

« Reply #6 on: August 23, 2020, 01:20:45 AM »
Small update.  The sandblasted parts have been picked up from the sandblaster.  Yeah, there is a large dent in the frame near the head tube and the body has several holes in it.  All of the parts have been moved to my friend's house so that when he has time he can resurrect the parts.  Hopefully in the not too distant future I'll see som nice painted parts and can begin reassembly.  Then I can begin the conversion that should have started last September.  By the way the video series has started.  The Youtube channel is called TheElectralanderProject.  Don't expect high production values.  I have no idea of what I'm doing and alot of it will be in flashback as I never intended to make a channel.