Author Topic: 1997 S-10 Conversion  (Read 6398 times)

craig.dusing

1997 S-10 Conversion
« on: November 19, 2007, 02:01:27 AM »
Just wanted to give a status report on my 1997 Chev. S-10 pickup conversion that was begun the first of November.  Most of the dis-assembly work is completed and I'll be finishing the design of and machining a motor coupler and trans adapter plate over the next two weeks.  I'll be installing a ADC FB1-4001A motor with Curtiss 1231C controller.  I'm still researching batteries but will probably outfit this vehicle with Trojan flooded lead acid.  Once I settle on a particular battery I hope to implement some ideas I've had regarding battery box construction and materials.  Hopefully I can get this whole thing done by the end of Jan.  (Probably wishful thinking) ;D  I'm trying to document as much of the conversion as I can at http://www.ev-solutions.net

craig.dusing

Re: 1997 S-10 Conversion
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2008, 03:14:00 PM »
Well, so much for being completed by the end of January.  ::)   I've updated my website at www.ev-solutions.net with the latest work completed. 

It seems that once you decide on a plan, gather the parts, find the space, round up the tools and all of the other miscellaneous other items, that Time remains the true enemy.  No matter how hard I try to focus on this project, there's never enough time.  Our machining centers have been running day and night continually through the holdays and new year.  When I finally convince my production manager that I can see an opening to machine my parts, all of our operators are busy; or a rush project comes in.  Then add-in business travel, family comittments, a winter cold or two, and suddenly, it's February!

But, that's life.  It's still more fun than I can describe. When I sit and look at the project I can see it finished. I can feel it on the road.  I can sense the experience.

What the heck am I doing?  I've got to get back to work  ;D

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2008, 12:32:23 AM »
Looks Great so far!
Ken Simmermon

matt.kenigson

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2008, 06:27:39 PM »
Actually, it looks amazing.  I'd really like to come by to see it in person if I could.  You can email me at matt dot kenigson at lextech dot com.

Matt K.

craig.dusing

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:30:15 AM »
Here's some pics of my 3rd generation front motor mount.  I welded up the prototype and it looked so ugly, I threw it away.  Then, in a non-related accident, I broke my foot.  So I got serious and 3D modeled the next version in CAD while on crutches and waiting for a cast.  Then we CNC machined the components, assembled the mount, and promptly broke it!  Seems we accidently machined a couple of the components out of aluminum cast & jig tooling plate we use in the mold shop.  Jig plate looks pretty, but won't take the stress.  6061-T651 aluminum is a must.  So here's the 3rd generation mount, built from the correct material and installed.  I'm beginning to think this might be the slowest conversion in history  ;D More details at www.ev-solutions.net

rich.rezny

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 06:37:37 AM »
WOW!  That is one sweet motor mount! The truck looks great!

craig.dusing

« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008, 11:10:41 PM »
April 12th, 2008 is a date I'll never forget.  I took my S-10 conversion on it's maiden voyage today!  Too many thoughts to express them all.  Happy, tired, excited, proud, curious, you name it, I'm there.  Ironically, my shop is located behind a Casey's General Store (convenience store/gas station) and the 1st 100 yards of my trucks new life was spent driving past a gas station.  And, I'm going to drive past it again and again every single day I go to work. See ya boys!  8)

I've been so excited to finish the conversion the last month that I abandoned all of the photo documentation and website updates. I'll try to catch up over the next week or so and get some more pics.  I probably just learned one of the basic rules of conversions that everyone else knew, but I had to learn.  I thought the engine removal, cutting, welding, motor fit-up, etc. was the hard work.  What I learned was, that was childs play compared to wiring.  Battery wiring, control wiring, vacuum pump wiring, gauge wiring, wiring, wiring, wiring.........  And, it requires concentration. Employees ask a business question, stop wiring.  Wife wants to go to dinner, stop wiring. Customer on the phone, stop wiring. Grandkids come to look, stop wiring.  My wiring diagram looks like some antiquity dug up in a pyramid.  But I won.  I didn't let the smoke out!

Anyway, I went about five miles on this first run.  Clutchless direct drive motor/trans adapter works great.  I can upshift and downshift the 5 speed manual easily.  I had actually been shifting clutchless for months prior to the conversion. (13 speed semi truck exp.)  My home is about 1-1/2 miles from the shop, so I gave it a 35mph test on the way home.  Picked up my wife and headed out to a nearby country road.  Ran it up to 60 mph with no problems and decided to bring it home and put it the garage.  I was afraid I'd lose control and rack up 20 miles before I knew it.  And I'm going to have a long, sit down, man to man talk with my throttle foot.  Once we're all on the same page I'll start breaking in and training the battery pack tomorrow.

Man, that was fun!  ;D

bob.fox

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008, 12:56:05 PM »
Congratulations ;D  You should be very proud.  Accomplishments like that are truly appreciated when everything comes together and it actually works.  I can only imagine how happy you were since I haven't built one yet, but I did get a great deal of satisfaction when my controller fried and I installed a new and different one.  And it worked!   Amazed myself that time. :)  Here's hoping for many, many miles of EV grinning.    Nice Job.

Bob
78' Mustang

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008, 11:29:19 PM »
Awesome Craig!  You're the first recipient of the FVEAA Plugged-In Award!!

i'm going to include your post in our newsletter this month.  Send/post a picture of you in your ride (with EV grin:-).