Author Topic: Automatic transmission?  (Read 4631 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Automatic transmission?
« on: March 13, 2007, 07:37:37 PM »
Hi Folks,
This came in from the website. Anyone/John can you please answer?
Thanks,
ted

---
Hello,

I was referred to your site by George at Netgain who thought some of your members had experience with converting vehicles equipped with automatic transmissions.  If so, I'd like to get in contact and gain a little more knowledge before starting my project.

I can be reached via:

Ian Wickson
Sedona, AZ
scooterbt@sedona.net
928-301-0049

Thanks... I appreciate any assistance you can provide.

-Ian

rich.rezny

Re: Automatic transmission?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2007, 10:42:59 PM »
Any transmission will waste some of your battery resource.  An automatic transmission would waste much more than a manual gearbox because it relies on a hydraulic pump to engage clutch packs that are the different gear ratios.  The clutch packs are constantly causing a drag even when they are not engaged due to the close tolerances of the multiple clutch plates coated with oil.  The hydraulic pump needs to keep going even when stopped to maintain a reserve of hydraulic pressure for the clutch packs as well as keeping the torque convertor full of oil so it can do it's job.  I'm speaking from automotive experiance of 30 years.  I don't have an electric anything yet but the more research I do into building one is telling me that I don't need a transmission at all. Direct drive & electrical reversing-transmission not needed.  I'm still learning myself..Rich

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2007, 12:10:23 AM »
Thanks for the excellent information Rich!  i'm coming to the same conclusion about direct drive for next (2 seater fast) EV.

i'm hoping that John Emde will also post to this thread because i think he's the only one that knows the details of the idler circuit that was built for the Triton Ranger with automatic transmission.

abel.partida

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2007, 02:51:06 AM »
Hi everyone
First timer. I decided to take on a project for a conversion of a pickup (Ford Ranger truck), in trying to buy the truck (manual transmission), I found some at a good price but are automatic. Do I Have to replace the automatic transmission? If so how complicated is it.

Does anybody knows where to look for ranger ($1k to 2K) I been trying :Ebay, Autotrader, local papers.

Thanks

rich.rezny

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2007, 09:30:24 PM »
I have a Ranger for sale. Its a 1995. Like many that are out there it has the auto trans and it also has a lot of miles-232K and is a bit dented. It does run great and drives ok. Asking $1K obo. call me @ 630-231-4444 (work m-f 8-5). Rich