Author Topic: 65 CORVAIR EV CONVERSION  (Read 7658 times)

wayne.mcguire

65 CORVAIR EV CONVERSION
« on: October 10, 2007, 04:00:15 PM »
MY PLANS ARE TO CONVERT MY 65 CORVAIR TO ELECTRIC. I HAVE NOT LOOK AT IT IN A WHILE AND AFTER PULLING IT OUT OF THE CORNER LAST WEEK I REALIZE THERE IS A BIT MORE WORK THAN I EXPECTED TO CLEAN UP THE BODY.

I'M TRYING TO DECIDE IF I SHOULD PROCEED WITH THIS CAR OR GO TO A LATER MODEL IN BETTER SHAPE.  THE CORVAIR I FEEL IS WELL SUITED BECAUSE IT IS LIGHT, LOW AND WIDE, SEATS 5, PLENTY OF ROOM IN THE ENGINE AND TRUNK COMPARTMENTS FOR BATTS. HAS INDEPENDENT FOUR WHEEL COIL SPRING SUSPENTION.  I HAVE THE BODY AND IT WOULD BE A TOSS UP TO CLEAN IT UP VS BUY A NEW DONER CAR.

SINCE I JOINED FVEAA I HAVE BEEN HEARING HORROR STORIES CONCERNING SUSPENTION PROBLEMS WITH STRUTS, SHOCKS WITH COIL SPRING HELPERS AND THEIR IMPACT ON THE CONNECTING POINT ON THE BODY HOLDING UP TO THE ADDITIONAL LOADS.

THE CORVAIR COIL SPRINGS CAN BE REPACE WITH A H.D. SPRING TO CARRY THE EXTRA WEIGHT.  THE SPRINGS APPEAR TO BE PART OF A SUSPENSION ASSEMBLY THAT JUST BOLTS TO THE BODY.

I WOULD LIKE TO HEAR SOME FEED BACK FORM OTHERS ON THE USE OF THE CORVAIR RELETIVE TO ITS SUSPENSION AND BODY STYLE.

THANKS
WAYNE

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: 65 CORVAIR EV CONVERSION
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2007, 01:30:39 AM »
Funny you should ask, I am planning a Corvair EV conversion now.  I have been a Corvair owner for the last 30 years.  Both my son and I have worked on lots of Corvairs, but the EV will be our first also.  I'm going to do an early coupe (actually a '61) as I have an extra.  A rust free car that was brought back to Illlinois many years ago as a project, and not completed by the former owner.  I bought it, one of the boys took it to high school auto shop class for paint, and it has been unused since. I have lots of thoughts.

All the Corvair cars give lots of room front an back for batteries.  Space is not a problem.  Early coupes have the most structural rigidity of all body styles, so I guess I am somewhat in luck there.  The later body style (65-69) that you apparently have has an optional heavy duty suspension, that wasn't available on the earlier cars.  If you plan to build about 12-13 large 12volt batteries, this is not severely over the ability of the car.  Remember most Corvairs are about 2600 lbs, and were designed to carry 5-6 passengers plus some luggage.  So carrying a total load of 3700 lbs is not unreasonable.  Remember to allow for the extra weight when you think about performance, the wattage of the controller, and the system voltage.

I'm still thinking about the batteries.  At first, I was thinking AGM's and setting my sights on a 156 volt system, but I am now leaning toward the NiMH batteries and a system with over 200 volts.  I had considered using the back seat area for battery storage, building a box and venting it to the outside, but am now leaning toward some batteries in the engine compartment and some in the trunk. 

Apparently Electro Auto has a Corvair template in their files.  They will make an adapter kit for the Corvair if you send them the bell housing.  I wonder if they would cut a deal on two?

Rich Carroll
r@a.vg
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

wayne.mcguire

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2007, 11:41:16 PM »
HI RICH

THANKS FOR THE INPUT.

I'M IN THE PROCESS OF BUILDING A CAROTATOR  (www.carotator.com) to aid in the restoration of the body.  SEVERAL YEARS AGO I BELONGED TO THE LOCAL CORVAIR CLUB. I PURCHASED A BLACK 65 CORSA FOR MY SON.  AFTER HE THREW A COUPLE LIFTER RODS AND THE BODY RUSTED OUT WE PUT IT IN A CORNER FOR PARTS.  THE SHINEY BLACK PAINT JOB REALY HID A LOT RUST.  I PICKED UP A 65 BODY FROM A GUY WHO GOT IT FROM ARIZONA.  A LITTLE SURFACE RUST BUT NOTHING THAT WONT RUB OUT.  PROB HAVE TO REPLACE A COUPLE FLOOR PANS.

IF YOU KNOW ANYONE THAT NEEDS ENGINE PARTS, I GOT THEM. 

OUR PLANS ARE TO TAKE AS MANY USABLE PARTS AND USE THEM ON THE GOOD BODY.

NOT SURE WHAT SIZE MOTOR OR BATTERIES I WILL USE.  I'M STILL IN THE PROCESS OF BEING EDUCATED.  I'M OPEN FOR ANY INPUT.

WAYNE

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2007, 01:35:10 AM »
I'll keep you (and the others on the forum) posted.  I am leaning toward NiMH batteries, if they can be had at a fair price.  I need to depend on 60-65 miles of range.  My daily commute is 30 miles one way, and there is no chance of an opportunity charge at work, at least until we build the new hospital in 2011.  There is absolutely no parking that even approaches an opportunity charge in Lincoln Park.

Rich Carroll
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to