Author Topic: My First EV project  (Read 2894 times)

robert.wood

My First EV project
« on: July 08, 2008, 02:59:36 PM »
I'm planning my first EV conversion project.  I want to keep costs down and the project as simple as possible.  I appreciate any advice you can offer.

After doing some reading it seems like I should use a DC system with  lead acid batteries into a vehicle with a manual transmission.   I'm thinking about purchasing a DC kit from ElectroAuto.com for $6,425 which seems to come with a transmission adapter.   Is this a wise choice? 

I thought I would choose a host vehicle based on the adapters available from the ElectroAuto list.  I'd also like to avoid suspension upgrades if possible.  My top two choices are a Mazda Miata or Ford Ranger.  How would you rate the conversion difficulties of these vehicles?  I'd be interested in other suggestions.

The kits seem to include everything except Battery boxes, batteries and motor mounts.  Do you know where I can find pre-built battery boxes and electric motor mounts for my conversion?

Does anyone know a good place to sell the ICE and related parts?

Thanks, Bob

robert.mcpheron

Re: My First EV project
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:53:44 PM »
I to am considering an EV project, I now have a electric tricycle to go to the mail box and the store. I remember reading some where that one motor company makes a motor that is in the wheels, it seems to me that is the best way to go. There fore to have two independent systems. ie a all electric system backed up by a regular gas car. I'm thinking of the toyota versa that sells for like 10 thousand

any suggestions

tks mac

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
Re: My First EV project
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 12:50:16 AM »
Bob,

I am in the process of converting an RX7 right now.  My main issue right now is the batteries and boxes.  I am hoping to fab the boxes up this week.  I considered a Miata but ended up with the rx7 because I fit a bit better (not all that much better ;) ).  If you choose an RX7 as the donor, let me know and we can see about making a second set of boxes.

I found my donor with a nice body and a blown motor for under $1k.  I have seen running rx7's go for 2-3k.  I am not sure if they guys you mentioned have the plate for an rx7, but I know someone does as I was able to buy one used.  Same for the motor mount.  Also, I am not sure if I will need to bump up the suspension.  I suspect that it will just be a bit more of a low rider.

Nathan.