Author Topic: Electric Blue is for Sale  (Read 3866 times)

todd.dore

• Veteran
Electric Blue is for Sale
« on: March 27, 2009, 02:45:21 PM »
My namesake and former EV (the 1st conversion) - Electric Blue - is for sale by the current owner in Florida.

I've heard that the it needs a new charger and batteries.  However, the charger is a Manzanita Micro, so I would be willing to bet it could be repaired by Rich Rudman for a very reasonable fee.

Asking price is cheap - $3k.

Would anyone in the club be interested?  This car has a lot of sentimental value to me, and many club members helped out with the conversion (John Emde, Nat Pozorski, Howard Hansen, Bill Schafer, Ted Lowe, Ken Simmermon, and many others...).  It would be great to get this car back in the area.

120V system, Raptor 600 controller, WarP! 9" motor, 750W heater, power steering, power brakes, nice stereo (assuming the new owner didn't take it out), DCP DC-DC converter.

Here's the link -

http://www.austinev.org/evtradinpost/index.php?method=showdetails&list=advertisement&rollid=2798&fromfromlist=classifiedscategory&fromfrommethod=showhtmllist&fromfromid=17

rich.hirschberg

• Contributor
Re: Electric Blue is for Sale
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2009, 10:59:38 PM »
Hey Todd,

What was the range you used to get?
I understand it may be different after being out of your hands.
Top speed??

Can you also ball park the costs involved... just to give me an idea of what I'm looking at?

New charger and batteries??
Charger - Manzanita Micro?? Any idea of what would be reasonable for this kind of repair?

You say the asking price is cheap - $3k... ok.

Thanks
Rich Hirschberg

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2009, 04:27:13 AM »
Ad says 144V

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2009, 12:08:48 PM »
A new charger is around  $2,000 for a new Manzanita Micro PFC-20.  There is no mention in the ad that the charger is bad or needs repair, but if you would need a charger, I agree the MM PFC series is the best.

I bought a PFC-20 off eBay about a month ago, and it was badly dented during shipping, so badly dented that the box was split open and I could see one of the fans punched about an inch or an inch and a half into the unit.  It is going back to Manzanita Micro for quick inspection and maybe a new case.  I'll quote the interesting parts from emails from Rich Rudman yesterday.  Rich hasn't seen it yet, so we are not sure what path this will go down.  Rich said:

"I will do what I can, beyond a certain point, it's easier to sell you a new serial number. The fans are on the far end.. not the control end. It all depends on what I find in the tear down.
I loose about 2 units a year to shipping. All fully insured and I NEVER more than lip service from UPS or any other shipper.  Beware of spending months trying to get these folks to hand you a dime.

Let me see it before we make a desision.
tearing up the case and installing a new one takes as much labor as a new one. ... Working on a fine sunny Sunday in Seattle...I should be playing... "

Todd knows Rich quite well, especially after the Plug-In conversion on his Prius.

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: Electric Blue is for Sale Hirschburg
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »
Bite the bullet Hirschburg, the motor alone is 1000 dollars. You need an EV as public relation man of FVEAA.  We will all help you get it going.

rich.hirschberg

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 01:46:27 AM »
Thank you Tim, you are most kind.

Rich Hir-sch-berg

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:12:09 AM »
I appreciate all your responses so far.  Another club member contacted me to try to reach out to the vehicle owner, as there has been no reply to potential purchase inquiries.

I will reach out to the gentleman to whom I sold the car, who I think is related to the current owner to see if I can get the true story on the car.

I had heard from a potential buyer in New England that the car needs a new charger and batteries.