Author Topic: Electric Tractor  (Read 3329 times)

rich.rezny

Electric Tractor
« on: March 04, 2007, 06:52:59 PM »
I am thinking about converting my 1969 Bolens 1250 lawn tractor to electric power. I have a few ideas about the conversion and would like some input from others as well.  The tractor has a 12 hp Wisconsin single cylinder engine(very noisy and gutless) and a hydrostatic transmission. The engine powers the transmission thru a short propeller shaft off the fan end and powers the power take off (for the mower or snow blower) from the other end.  My idea was to build a bearing block jack-shaft assembly to go in place of the engine, keeping the hydro trans and PTO for the mower and I would drive the bearing block assembly with a cog belt drive off one of those perm/mag pancake motors (Lemco or B&S)that are rated about 8 hp with 25 hp peak for short times. I would use only a contactor to power up the motor and rely on the hydro-trans for speed control and direction.  I'm thinking using a 48 volt system. The tractor also has a front end loader which I use to plow snow and move mulch around and has a hydraulic pump that would be either driven by it's own motor or via the bearing block jack-shaft assembly. I mow an acre or less and most of the time the machine is just parked.  I'm thinking about tying the battery system to my house via an inverter/charger to supply emergency back up power for my sump pump in the event of a power failure. Any ideas about the conversion would be great so please post them here.  Thanks, Rich R