Author Topic: BMW has attempted to scrap all their Active E test cars  (Read 3193 times)

rich.carroll

• Veteran
BMW has attempted to scrap all their Active E test cars
« on: May 24, 2014, 12:56:54 AM »
Here we go again.  It appears that BMW has attempted to scrap all their Active E test cars, and former owners have raised a howl of protest!  Certainly sounds like GM's faux pas from just over a dozen years ago.

For the initial story, see: http://jalopnik.com/ev-advocates-lose-their-shit-over-crushed-bmw-electric-1580235786?utm_campaign=socialflow_jalopnik_facebook&utm_source=jalopnik_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

scott.fauque

Re: BMW has attempted to scrap all their Active E test cars
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2014, 01:16:52 PM »
Not true.

http://insideevs.com/exclusive-bmw-provides-official-statement-crushing-activees/

David Buchko, head of BMW product and technology communications, fielded our question with this response that should put to rest all the speculation and finger pointing:

“Anyone who has watched BMW’s ongoing development in the electric vehicle space and observed our investment in BMW i, has seen clear evidence of the company’s commitment to sustainable mobility.”

“BMW has always been clear that the ActiveEs were prototype vehicles and that the program would have a limited timeframe, which is now drawing to a close. Our time with the ActiveE & our Electronauts has been a great learning experience which has prepared us well for the arrival of the BMW i3 electric vehicle which is now in US showrooms at authorized BMW i Centers. As enthusiasts, we understand and appreciate the emotional connection that individuals can make with their cars. The enthusiasm that the Electronauts brought to the BMW ActiveE test program was truly remarkable.”

“The learning begun with the ActiveE will transition to the next phase with all of the lithium-ion batteries being repurposed for Battery Second Life research projects.”

“As prototypes, the BMW ActiveEs may not be resold. Based on increasing demand, the most well cared for cars have been deployed to bolster the fleet of Drive Now, BMW’s car sharing service in the San Francisco Bay Area, for a limited period. The total number of BMW ActiveEs in the Drive Now Fleet totals 150. Some have also been returned to Munich for additional research markets.”

“Legal requirements make it impossible to keep these cars on the road in the US indefinitely. Recycling of the vehicles locally is the most sustainably responsible means of handling the cars that are being taken out of service.”

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2014, 02:06:07 PM »
I agree that there is another side to the story, but I don't accept BMW's corporate line that this was  "the most sustainably responsible means of handling the cars."  BMW intiailly set this small production run as a prototype, and by US rules, the prototype can be run on US roads for a limited time and then the prototypes destroyed (or rendered undriveable so they can be displayed).  There are a couple of concerns with this initial decision, but to create a production of more than 1000 cars, it would not have been difficult to certify these for crash safety or ask for an exemption.  This would have allowed the continued use these cars.  Obviously BMW's first decision was open to queston, in creating an extremely large prototype series.  Most non-certifiable prototypes are extremely small series of cars, usually under a dozen.  To make 1100 cars certainly required tens of millions of dollars, I believe they should have made the initial decision to certify this small run.  Whether they sold them, gave them to schools,  or properly scrapped at the end of the test would be another decision.

My bigger concern is how they were disposed of.  Information appears to say that the cars were simply scrapped, crushed and sold as mixed scrap metal. These cars have a significant number of aluminum components and some titanium alloy components.  Colleges and high schools with auto shops could have learned a lot by simply disassembling and separating the parts by metal, and recycling the expensive metals.  Mixed metal crushing is most certainly not  "the most sustainably responsible means of handling the cars."
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2014, 04:59:42 AM »
I'm waiting for the movie :)
Ken Simmermon