Author Topic: The 98 Ranger is not well.  (Read 3171 times)

howard.hansen

• Contributor
The 98 Ranger is not well.
« on: November 04, 2009, 11:33:31 PM »
The 98 Ranger is not well.  That's how I began my previous post(sad violins in background).  The previous owner ran 14 pieces of wire from the battery box up to behind the seat to check the voltage of the 13 pairs of batteries.  Here are my voltage readings. 

1  25.82
2  24.54
3  21.43
4  23.18
5  14.67
6  19.32
7  25.76
8  25.82
9  22.68
10 25.87
11 23.65
12 24.31
13 23.79
Most - to most +  300.6

I have a small 24 volt charger to bring up a low pair but at this point I'm not convinced that will help.  It looks like one battery is real dead and some others are well worn.  Plan is to drop the battery box fairly soon.  I'll tow the Ranger to Berwyn as soon as I get a receiver hitch installed on my current clunker.  Then I expect to buy either several sealed batteries or a ton of flooded batteries. 

I APPRECIATE YOUR COMMENTS

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: The 98 Ranger is not well.
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2009, 12:24:39 AM »
Can I help tow it?  We could use the highlander, or if it can't be flat towed, the dually pickup of Jeide with the big trailer.  Unless you plan on using a hitch a lot, don't buy one.

You have some bad pairs, and some that are starting to get tired.  I almost never recommend replacing a partial pack, so you may be in for a larger bill for a whole pack.  What has been the best solution on the Lead-Acid Ranger replacements?  I know there was some discussion of this on some of the lists a while back, but do not remember the suggestions.

Who is in Berwyn?  I thought the only place with the proper tool was the Freeway Ford dealer in Lyons. They did have the specialized lift to help remove the 2000 lb battery tray while the truck is on the lift.   

Do you want me to ask Dom to ask John Daschel in Discovery Ford in Moses Lake?  Dom says John is a real good guy and very well versed in the repair of these trucks. John's the owner of Discover Ford and drives one.

Discovery Ford Lincoln-Mercury
www.discoveryford.net
1140 S Pioneer Way
Moses Lake, WA 98837-2300
(509) 765-4551

He should be an excellent resource, or Ken S. or Freeway Ford.

Call me if I can help.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2009, 05:07:05 AM »
Hi Howard,
Have you tried the 24volt charger yet? When towing, if using your car dolly tow by the rear wheels or damage can occur. I personally have removed the battery pack three times, two of those were on a lead Ranger. I highly recommend using a lift it's much safer. If not you literally must lift the truck off of the pack, and it must be lifted very high. Several harnesses must be removed and a rear tire (left) for clearance.  Here is the Ranger user group they post everyday and is the Bible for the Ranger EV http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/ranger-ev/
Ken Simmermon

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: November 05, 2009, 05:39:23 AM »
Yes, Howard - first you would have to clear space in the Berwyn garage for the truck, then the lifting of it (without a lift) could be very dangerous, especially since that garage floor is NOT level at all.

Regardless, if you're hell-bent on doing this without a lift, set up a time and we'll get as many FVEAA guys as we can to help out.  4-6 well-placed jacks, stands, etc. with appropriate help and SAFETY would be the way to go.  If we get a small crowd I'll bring the radio and buy some sandwiches.

I still think  you should consider used NiMh or Li-ion batteries for this job.  With some hunting you may be able to find a good set for cheap.

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2009, 02:01:27 AM »
By Berwyn I'm referring to the garage ToddD was using last year.  I bought a class 3 receiver from 3-Stooges, um Pep-Boys and it'll be in Monday.  I still have the car tow dolly.  That's how the Ranger got to the Elgin Car Show a couple months ago.  Rich, thanks for the offer.  Don't worry; I'll ask for help soon enough!  Ken, I'll need to find out what what harnesses need to be disconnected and how.  As I understand it, battery removal involves lifting the truck off the box.  Stay tuned