Recent Posts

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10
Charging / Article: Recent Chargepoint Charging Station Issue and Workaround
« Last post by ted.lowe on August 18, 2021, 03:35:08 PM »
Hi Folks,

i wrote this article with pictures for our August 2021 newsletter.

i invite you to read it to learn what i learned and also to stimulate a discussion about what we can do to help create a widespread reliable charging infrastructure which is key to widespread EV adoption. 

https://www.fveaa.org/docs/newsletters/2021/FVEAA-newsletter-2021-08.pdf

Kind regards,
ted
Other News / Re: Toyota Lagging in the Electric Vehicle Race
« Last post by tim.moore on August 12, 2021, 11:48:55 PM »
Very interesting.  I have had two hybrids and three electric vehicles and I really did not like hybrid switching to gas.
Other News / Toyota Lagging in the Electric Vehicle Race
« Last post by tracey.mcfadden on August 12, 2021, 04:41:04 PM »
This just in:

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE: 
Thursday, August 12, 2021

Larisa Manescu, larisa.manescu@sierraclub.org

NEW: Sierra Club Releases Report Showing Toyota Lagging in Global Electric Vehicle Race

WASHINGTON, DC - Today, E&E reported on the Sierra Club's latest report, which highlights Toyota's lobbying in the US for weak federal fuel efficiency and greenhouse gas standards (informally known as "clean car standards") and a slow global electrification strategy.

The report, titled "Exhausted: Toyota is Losing the Electrification Race as Automakers Charge Ahead," asserts that the automaker, which still doesn't sell any battery electric cars in the US and is committed to selling hybrids and gas powered vehicles, risks being stranded by the electric vehicle transition.

The New York Times recently reported on Toyota's global lobbying against stricter emissions standards and EV initiatives.

The latest report from the Intergovernmental Panel on Climate Change rings the climate crisis alarm once again: The damage done by burning fossil fuels will only worsen unless we rapidly slash climate-disrupting emissions, and transportation is the nation's largest source of carbon emissions.
READ THE REPORT

Katherine Garc?a, Acting Director of the Sierra Club's Clean Transportation for All campaign, released the following statement:

"Toyota keeps hoping that a shiny new coat of paint will distract everyone from their car wreck of a climate policy. From being among the loudest supporters of Donald Trump's most significant attack on our clean air to now lobbying President Biden to delay the electric vehicle transition, Toyota is at best the laggard of the auto industry.

This isn't good business and it certainly isn't good policy; this is merely a company incapable of thinking about our future or what may become of their own."

###
EV Maintenance / New topic for the meeting
« Last post by tim.moore on August 06, 2021, 01:55:39 PM »
For the next meeting I was wondering if someone could speak to the maintenance of EV brakes? I read the article in CarDriver and I had no idea that regenerative brakes had a caliper issue.
EV Maintenance / Re: EV Maintenance, Brake Caliper Lubrication
« Last post by tim.moore on August 06, 2021, 01:54:22 PM »
Rich Rezney good to hear your mechanic perspective.  ICE or EV they are amazing piece machines.  Interesting that the Volt has most of its problems with the ICE generator you oil, me generator mount. 
For the next meeting I was wondering if someone could speak to the maintenance of EV brakes? I read the article in CarDriver and I had no idea that regenerative brakes had a caliper issue.
« Last post by simon.gibson on August 06, 2021, 12:49:22 PM »
Having personally repaired my own vehicles, and others; I can attest that ICE vehicles are indeed an expensive maintenance item.
The auto service industry is a huge encumbrance to the economy, so when Elon got into the sand pit and changed the rules, the war began. Indeed, you can feel the tension between diehard ICE pundits and environmentally thinking people.
So our challenge is retuning the economy!
« Last post by rich.rezny on August 06, 2021, 04:06:22 AM »
Cost of ownership of any vehicle is crazy. As a mechanic I see it firsthand. Just today I worked on a 2005 S500 Mercedes-Benz. Needed a radiator, serpentine belt, idler, tensioner, hood struts, tires and some other things I can't remember right now. Grand total of the service was $4500. My Ford Focus Electric needed new high voltage batteries because they had a coolant leak. Covered by warranty. Would have cost me $8000 but it was free. My Chevy Volt just developed a emissions and ICE oil pump problem. Not sure how much that is going to cost yet. I miss my old VW Jetta TDI. Was the cheapest car for me but I'm a mechanic. Your stove or fridge or washer or dryer cr@ps out and its cheaper to replace them than get a service person to come and fix them.
EV Maintenance / EV Maintenance, Brake Caliper Lubrication
« Last post by tom.hoffmann on August 04, 2021, 02:09:31 PM »
This article on EV cost to operate is kind of a hit job. The primary costs incurred were chipped glass and tire replacement. I did think the frequent caliper lubrication (lack of use) was interesting. Maybe periodic aggressive braking should be part of our maintenance routine.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a30209598/2019-tesla-model-3-reliability-maintenance/
Great new technology (h/w and s/w) to enable distributed renewable energy!
Way beyond the V2G we've been discussing for more than a decade!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=snqBKk4Rpjw
Vans would be nice Jeff, but I told Rolly that conversion businesses do not make sense unless the EV driver is partnering to do the conversion.  John Emde tried it, but had a hard time sustaining it. With all the new and used EV's conversions only make sense as an educational tool.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10