Author Topic: HELP!! Controller Fried!  (Read 7673 times)

bob.fox

HELP!! Controller Fried!
« on: October 07, 2007, 11:09:43 AM »
     Not good news.  I was driving through town yesterday at about 15 MPH finishing up a 10 mile trip.  All of a sudden I hear a pop and the car died.  There was a strong burned electrical smell.  I pulled the car home and my son and I started checking it out.   Secondary contactor wouldn't kick in. Controller still had that "Bad" smell.  The car has the DCP Raptor 600 controller.  144 volt system.  Controller was also hotter than "hell."   I'm pretty sure one of the capacitors has fried. 
     I'm finding out this may be a common problem with the Raptor.  I'm also finding out they no longer make this controller nor are they wanting to support it or make repairs.  I have not called the company yet. 
     My questions are:
1.) Does anyone know who can repair the Raptor?
2.) What would be the best controller to get to replace it?  Curtis 1231?  Zilla? 
3.) Where is the best place to purchase a new controller at?
4.) Are there any used controllers out there that would fit my needs?

As you can tell I'm new at this, I love the car and would like to get it back on the road as soon as possible for the best possible price, of course.   I would appreciate any information the membership may have.    Thank you,
Bob
78' Mustang

rich.rezny

Re: HELP!! Controller Fried!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2007, 07:36:56 PM »
While I was working at my Saturday job at Car Quest a customer came in who repairs fork lifts. He told me a place he gets electric parts at a place called Uniparts. Their # is 630-595-4450.  I called them to see if I could get a brush for a GE motor I just picked up. Parts wasn't opened on Saturday but the guy who answered in service said they can get all kinds of brushes as well as controller parts.  Rich

rich.rezny

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2007, 07:20:29 PM »
Uniparts website is www.uniparts.net

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2007, 03:09:19 AM »
Bob:

What was your resolution to the Raptor 600 controller problem?

miodrag.zubic

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 04:56:56 AM »
Have you done anything with you fried controller?
I have just joined the FVEAA a week ago so I haven't seen your post before. I can't say that I am repairing EV motor controllers, but I have been designing industrial motor controllers for living for about 10 years now. I have also designed a few models of controllers for golf cars and NEVs and I am somewhat familiar with Zilla designs. I would like to give it a shot and repair your Raptor if you haven't had somebody do it already. I wouldn't charge you for any of my time, of course, however if there is a substantial cost to parts then we would have to talk about it. I have interest in this because I have a passion for motor controllers and would like to get familiar with those that are often used in converstions. Let me know if you would like to talk about it.

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 02:42:20 PM »
yes, I too would be interested in knowing if anyone in our club has the capabilities of repairing the Raptor 600.  If you haven't already done so, I consider replacing it with the Curtis 1231C (the 144V controller) and put some DC fans blowing across the fins for cooling.

bob.fox

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 03:28:40 PM »
Bob:

What was your resolution to the Raptor 600 controller problem?

Todd,   I did replace the Raptor with the Curtis 1231.  As of yet, I have not had the Raptor repaired.  Tom Brunka and his friend Mike have offered to look at it to possibly repair and modify to prevent future catastrophic failures.  This would be good for anyone with type of controller.  I agreed to ship it to him in late November but due to life/work and my normal procrastination I haven't done so yet.  I will put it on my to do list for next week though. 
    New member Mio has also generously offered to look at it and I truly appreciate any help.  Possibly these three gentlemen could make this a group project?  I would pay for any parts needed.  What do you think guys?

Bob
78' Mustang

miodrag.zubic

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:27:57 AM »
Any resolution with your fried Raptor?