Author Topic: Electric Heater Core for 78 Mustang ll  (Read 5060 times)

bob.fox

Electric Heater Core for 78 Mustang ll
« on: October 02, 2007, 06:32:06 PM »
Hi folks,   I'm looking for the best and most cost effective heater core to put in my mustang for the up and coming winter month's.  If anyone has suggestions I would greatly appreciate it.  Thanks.
Bob
78' Mustang

todd.martin

Re: Electric Heater Core for 78 Mustang ll
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2007, 09:29:47 PM »
Hi Bob,

I drove my '97 Force all last winter, and found that the electric heater was really marginal.  It provided okay warmth when the weather was 40 degrees F or higher, but I was pretty cold when it was below freezing.

I'm gonna recommend that you consider a kerosene heater.  Solectria offered an optional kerosene heater, and used the Eberspacher brand.  Ford, with their ThInk car also offered a kerosene heater and they used a Webasto.

The California CARB amended their zero emission mandate in the 90's to include kerosene as an allowable heating choice for EV's.  They concluded that electric heaters were relatively inefficient, best used for mild temperatures. 

Best regards,

Todd Martin

bob.fox

« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2007, 12:05:17 PM »
No doubt you are correct about the heat output but at $2000 I think I am going to have to go electric, like it or not.  Thanks for the info.   :)
78' Mustang

todd.martin

« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2007, 04:25:08 PM »
Hi Bob,

While $2000 is really pricey, consider a used Webasto on Ebay.  $102.50!!

The link is: http://cgi.ebay.com/Webasto-Air-Top-2000-Semi-Tractor-Boat-Diesel-Heater_W0QQitemZ140163184586QQihZ004QQcategoryZ41505QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

The Air-Top 2000 is Webasto's smallest model and the one used in the Ford ThInk.  It draws about 20 Watts at 12 Volts.  Full specs for the heater can be found at:

http://www.webasto-marine.com/index2_us.php

If you are interested, I think it'd be great to do the heater installation as a demo for a FVEAA meeting.  Let me know if interested.

Best regards,

Todd Martin