Author Topic: Lead-Carbon batteries last twice as long as LiFePo  (Read 7063 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Lead-Carbon batteries last twice as long as LiFePo
« on: October 08, 2010, 09:28:51 PM »
This technology looks awesome!  But where are we going to get carbon? :-)

http://seekingalpha.com/article/115257-lead-carbon-a-game-changer-for-alternative-energy-storage

dave.mashek

Re: Lead-Carbon batteries last twice as long as LiFePo
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2010, 11:14:23 PM »
NEWS FLASH!

Energizer(TM) announces their new "Soylent Green" brand of batteries!

geoffrey.pullinger

• Geoff Pullinger Website
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2010, 04:01:20 AM »
If I live twice as long will I see these batteries in my car?  Remember Firefly?

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2010, 08:04:16 PM »
Yes, you are correct.  We could all live for 500 years and we will not see any of this technology commercially.

LiFePo batteries are the current technology, and will inevitably evolve.  I don't believe most of the researcher claims for new technologies - the main reason for the press release is to get R&D funding so they can continue their research, not to bring a commercial product to market.  That's why we only see 1 out of 100 (or less) projects make it to market.

Lithium batteries are available (for a price), and large-scale (i.e., auto) applications are here now.  There are 3 competing companies in China manking these batteries and selling them all over the world.  Price will continue to drop.

Go Lithium!

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2010, 11:55:41 PM »
i'm not slamming lithium with this post, just sharing the first time i've read about long cycle life lead-acid.  Lithium would still have weight and range issues, but the lead-carbon batteries would last so long, they could last 15 times longer than the trojan t-125's i'm using now (about to install my 3rd pack in nine years).

i wouldn't have posted the article unless NREL did independent testing (to avoid the "for-funding-PR" that Todd mentioned).

Long live longer lasting and more cost effective energy storage devices (regardless of chemistry:-)!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2010, 02:19:13 AM »
allright!

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 03:16:26 PM »
My Battery is heavier than yours! LOL
Ken Simmermon

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 11:35:18 PM »
After 2 yrs my us125's are already failing. Does any one know if these newer ones are available as yet

tks mac

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 12:59:55 PM »
Robert, two years is a little early, but I had to several times replace one two and sometimes three batteries with new ones.  This does make equalizing a little more of a hands on issue with separate 6volt battery chargers once a week, but it was better than buying a whole new pack for the winter.  I would of course change out your pack before next winter, or if commuting is a safety issue, bite the bullet and get a new pack now.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2010, 03:24:45 PM »
After 2 yrs my us125's are already failing. Does any one know if these newer ones are available as yet

tks mac

Hi Mac,

It's likely that these lead-carbon batteries are still in the dev. lab stage.

How many miles on your pack ?  Can i work with you take a closer look at your battery pack situation?

i'm planning to replace my qty. 20 x trojan t-125's which are over 4 years old soon.  Perhaps we can combine for a pallet buy ($5/bat cheaper) ?

Thanks,
ted

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2010, 05:09:25 PM »
I'm wondering about lithium ion

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2010, 04:08:08 AM »
Go Lithium!

Ted - are you really looking to replace your lead pack with another lead pack?  I remember you mentioned that you wouldn't want to put nice expensive Lithium batteries in the truck, however.....maybe it's time for another conversion!  Or perhaps, you could purchase a nice converted vehicle that needs new batteries and put Lithiums in those?

Just trying to recruit more members into the Lithium club! (special interest group of the FVEAA!)

You will be amazed at how far you can go with Lithium.

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2010, 11:36:41 AM »
Todd - We all want lithium, but personally 11k is a bit hard to swallow.  Even though in the long run it MIGHT be cheaper and more range is possible.  When you have outlived 4 PbA packs, then we all know for sure, but that is a long time to wait.  I hope my pack lasts long enough to make it to $5 or 6k for a Li replacement.   (which should not be too hard since I am waiting to build a new controller for it now.) This cost target may seem unrealistic, but keep in mind that it was $25-30k for a Li pack a few years ago.

Nathan.

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2010, 02:04:06 PM »

tks mac

Hi Mac,

It's likely that these lead-carbon batteries are still in the dev. lab stage.

How many miles on your pack ?  Can i work with you take a closer look at your battery pack situation?

i'm planning to replace my qty. 20 x trojan t-125's which are over 4 years old soon.  Perhaps we can combine for a pallet buy ($5/bat cheaper) ?

Thanks,
ted

That sounds good, I need to check my batts, maybe it will work out to go together on a buy.

You can reach me at 847-699-8835

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2010, 02:48:43 AM »
Yes, perhaps a good pack will come down in price to $5k or $6k.

For those who can afford a new car payment, in 12-15 months the Chevy Volt and Nissan Leaf should be available in IL.

Presumably in about 30 months or so (being realistic here) the Tesla Model S will also be available, but at a much steeper price.

Todd