Author Topic: Is it the 4th of july? No that was my controller.  (Read 3150 times)

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
Is it the 4th of july? No that was my controller.
« on: June 02, 2010, 11:36:00 AM »
Driving home yesterday I heard what sounded like firecrackers in a barrel.  I pulled over to see where the magic smoke had been let out.  Nothing was entirely obvious (but deep down I knew what happened), so I figured I would try to limp home.  I started to drive, and then bang, bang, bang...... nothing.  My Curtis was dead.  This was no surprise as I had bought it used and the back plate was not on the unit.  Thus it was exposed to the elements.  Perhaps from a previous "bang"?

I knew that Rich had removed a Curtis just like the one that I "had".  So I gave him a call.  He said the controller was at the shop and to call there.  So I called over to "Pioneer Conversions".  It was quitting time, the guys ere heading out the door and did not know off hand where the controller was due to a recent move of shop.  However, they were willing to stay a bit longer and find it for me.  Steve lives close to me and he brought the controller home with him and I picked it up from his house.  Then my family gave me a ride to the disabled EV.  My wife asks "how did you get a replacement controller so fast?".   Then I swapped out the controller like a mad man, so that my wife could still attend her class later on in the evening.

After only two hours from the unpleasant bam-bam-bam, I had the familiar whine of my Curtis back.  All is well in life with an EV again.  Thanks to all involved for what I will call a miracle transplant!

todd.dore

• Veteran
Re: Is it the 4th of july? No that was my controller.
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2010, 01:17:35 AM »
That has to record time for a surgical transplant!

Congrats!  And I'm thankful that we have the FVEAA club to depend on (especially Pioneer Conversions!)