Author Topic: Transporting an EV  (Read 4111 times)

miodrag.zubic

Transporting an EV
« on: May 03, 2010, 01:00:47 PM »
Does anyone know where I could rent a pickup truck capable of (long distance) hauling another somewhat heavier vehicle? This week I am going to check out and most likely buy a converted S10. I'll need/want to haul it from Ohio. My current option is to rent a car one way and a moving truck (U-haul or alike) + car carrier for the way back. Any better suggestions? ... other than having it shipped via one of "auto transporting" companies that for some reason I'd like to avoid.

Thanks
Miodrag

howard.hansen

• Contributor
Re: Transporting an EV
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 05:46:01 PM »
I own a 2-wheel tow dolly.  Normally front wheels are on the dolly with the steering unlocked so they can turn.  Rear wheels roll on the pavement.  Hitch takes 2" ball.  Available for nominal fee. 

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Re: Transporting an EV
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 12:22:25 AM »
The tow dolly would work, or you could add tow bar brackets to the S-10 like I did and use a tow bar to get it home.  It took about an  hour to add the brackets under the front sub frame on my 1996 S-10.  YMMV

I would only tow with a capable vehicle, something with at least the weight of the vehicle you are pulling back.  If the S-10 you are looking at is a stick, or an automatic with driveshaft removed, flat towing is safe and effective.

If I wanted to use a dolly, they are a little bouncy when towing, but on the interstate it should not be too bad.  Try to tow with a heavier vehicle as this will be bounced around less by the tow dolly.

A four wheel trailer is usually ideal.  When setup properly, it tows smoothly, you have no worries about removing the driveshaft on the s10 if you get an automatic, etc.  But it takes a significant vehicle to tow the weight of the trailer and the S-10. 

Most rental small trucks have hitches on the back so they can pull a trailer.  There are only 3 common sizes of balls:  2-5/16" for heavy trailers, 2" for most medium towing, and 1-7/8" for light trailers. 

Howard's dolly likely has lights on a four prong flat connector, which is kind of universal for small and medium trailers.  A seven pin round connector is used for trailers with electric brakes.  I have a 7pin to 4 pin adapter you can borrow. 

Do you have experience towing?

Call me on Wednesday at the shop : 630-243-6616 9AM-3PM
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to