Author Topic: buy a generator or build one?  (Read 6120 times)

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
buy a generator or build one?
« on: April 28, 2010, 03:10:24 AM »
Hi all,

I have wanted a "tow-able" generator for a while now.  Due to a few more trees at my house it is time to get rid of the riding lawn mower.  So now the question is to sell it and use some of the money to help buy a generator, or to build a generator using the engine from the mower along with a motor (which I would need to buy/find).

Does anyone have any leads on a good motor to use as a generator?  Maybe even a generator with a dead engine.  Something in the 7kw range (rated, not peak).  Ideally I would be able to make either 120/240VAC 60hz, and/or optimized range extend the EV.

Thanks.

Nathan.

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
Re: buy a generator or build one?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2010, 01:46:24 PM »
i might have something Nathan, give me a call 847-530-7784. or just to talk about the requirements, Ken
Ken Simmermon

charles.bendig

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2010, 02:06:10 PM »
Nathan,

There are a number of things to worry about when building a generator. First how big is the engine you want to salvage. How much generator will it pull? How are you going to attach the engine to the generator? How are you going to balance it, couple it, keep it cool. mount the gas tank for vibrations, leakage, etc.? These are just a few I would suspect you need to worry about if you are putting this on the street as a mobile power plant. I do not know what you think you can sell your tractor for or how much more you are willing to put into the generator to buy it to attach to it. Harbor Freight has a nice 7KW generator for about $600. I forget the brand name on the engine, but my neighbor who owns a small engine repair shop told me that the engine is the same engine Honda uses on their generator if that means anything. I last fall I adopted the same engine to my 50 year old tractor (I know I should have made it electric, but that is another story) and it has worked good all winter plowing snow. With a new generator set all you have to do is put gas in it, attach a battery and turn the key and you have power. Then all you have to do is mount it to a trailer. If your engine is at lease 16 or 20 honest horse power they also have a 10KW generator for about $300. Again you still have to worry about all the items I mentioned above. I don't have much time for these projects right now, but I am cheap and my time is worth something. I would go with the the 7KW neat, clean and ready to go.

That's my $0.50 worth.

Chuck

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2010, 04:07:48 AM »
I wouldn't do a generator at all.  Stick with pure EV.  Go Lithium all the way!

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 03:07:41 AM »
Thanks guys.  I think I will go with the sell and buy approach.

Lithium would be great, but $$$.  I have to understand what happened to my pack first.  It only got about 1/3 of the expected life.  If that happened with the cash expenditure for Li, I would really be not happy.

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 05:21:33 PM »
Where do you get li-ion batterys.

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2010, 02:54:39 AM »
For my Elec Bug, I got the batteries from Elite Power Solutions.  Look them up on the web - they will gladly take your order.  The batteries are produced in China, because there are no affordable solutions for individual hobbyists such as ourselves yet in the US.

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #7 on: May 07, 2010, 12:06:53 PM »
Thank you, if I may do they perform as promised and is your car a 96v system. Did you need a new charger or can I use my existing 96v what was the approximate cost. Lead acid run about $2000 for 96v.

tks mac