Author Topic: Looking for mid size crew cab to drive then convert.  (Read 3211 times)

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
Looking for mid size crew cab to drive then convert.
« on: January 03, 2010, 02:34:25 AM »
Hi all,

I just sold my Durnago, so it is all EV for me now.  One problem, the RX7 cant hold the kids and does not have enough range for a few trips that I need to occasionally do.

I am looking for a mid sized crew cab truck to drive for a bit and then convert some time next year.  If anyone knows of a deal on one, please let me know.  Something like a Colorado or Canyon.

Thanks.

Nathan
773 456 6322.

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: Looking for mid size crew cab to drive then convert.
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2010, 08:41:28 PM »
Nathan, I know exactly what you are thinking, because that was a goal of mine.  Infact I did buy a Dodge Dakota four door crew cab for the express purpose of a family vehicle with a range extending generator in the back.  I learned that the weight is too much, transmission change from automatic to manual was  a lot of work, and that brakes were going to be expensive to beef up.  I believe Ken Simmermon had a Dakota crew cab conversion that he was selling.  The guy had Ken selling it, he had paid 20,000 for it but was selling it for 15,000.  If I were you I would go with the S10 crew cab and use Pioneers kit for battery boxes. Realize too that although generator do extend your range, it is only slightly unless you are into the big ones.  My Honda 2K generator only gives me four or five extra miles in the winter time, summer 20 to 25.