Author Topic: Using Microturbines for Range-Extension  (Read 5153 times)

gordon.bourey

Re: Using Microturbines for Range-Extension
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 03:01:52 PM »

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 01:34:45 PM »
Having driven EV for several winters now, as well as cars shows out of my range, I do not leave home without my generator in the car.  I have only used it four times this year, since I made the metal plate that attaches to my hatch and rests on my bumper, but I have a lot more peace of mind with it in the cars.  I personally would not leave home without a generator in the winter, when going to places I am not familiar with, or places slightly out of my range.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 05:02:00 PM »
Hi Tim, et al,

Good points all!  The range-extension concept reduces/eliminates the "range anxiety" that comes with BEV (battery only EVs).   Someday i will own/build/buy/lease a vehicle that will give me all the benefits of a BEV (no fossil fuel consumption for local/regional trips) but will also incorporate a way to extend the range past the pre-stored energy on board.  Perhaps it will be a rapid charge battery technology, or other "fuel-cell" like technology (like zinc-air).  i can drive my S-10 EV around with the equivalent of 2-gallons of gasoline that can't be refueled quickly for about 95% of my current driving (less when it's colder), but i see a new vehicle in my not too near future.  i don't want to reward the auto companies with my $$$ for just an incremental change.  I WANT A REVOLUTION!  The future looks very interesting for sure!

Kind regards,
ted

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2009, 04:17:52 AM »
Three words:
ZERO CARBON CAR

http://www.fveaa.org/forums/index.php/topic,569.0.html
http://tinyurl.com/c5m9ov

-TK

[I have the book if you want to peruse it]