Author Topic: Any EV owners gotten their EL Plate renewal yet?  (Read 7182 times)

howard.hansen

• Contributor
Any EV owners gotten their EL Plate renewal yet?
« on: November 11, 2009, 11:56:38 PM »
Any EV owners gotten their EL Plate renewal yet?

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
Re: Any EV owners gotten their EL Plate renewal yet?
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2009, 02:17:26 PM »
Not me, not a good sign!
Ken Simmermon

robert.mcpheron

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2009, 12:41:23 AM »
State of Ill said renewals will be mailed in about a week. It appears there will be no change. I will be looking for mine around the end of the month
Not me, not a good sign!

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2010, 02:29:56 AM »
I got my sticker, but the paperwork with it now says EV under 45mph.  Urg!  I should have saved myself significant hassle and just got the regular plates in the first place.

stephen.grushas

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2010, 09:45:37 PM »
I received my License Plate renewal in the mail today and MY REGISTRATION ID Card says  ELE OVER 45 MPH
I'm Good to go for another 2 Years.

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2010, 09:45:49 AM »
I received my notice and renewed my plates in December.

chuck.carrington

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2010, 06:18:21 PM »
I got my sticker and registration card in the mail yesterday. Mine also says "ELE UNDER 45 MPH". I am wondering where that comes from. If they think that my car is a neighborhood vehicle then it seems it would say under 35MPH, and if they do not think it is a neighborhood vehicle then it should not have any speed restriction.

Todd - I know that you went to a SOS facility instead of mailing it in. Does yours have the 45 MPH restriction?

Chuck

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2010, 07:42:19 PM »
In the past, the Secretary of State did not follow the rules for issuing the EL series of plates.  Here are the samples of the Electric Vehicle and Restricted Electric Vehicle plates.

The 2002-2003 license plate guideline said:
Electric Vehicle license plates are issued for any First Division vehicle propelled by an electric engine without using motor fuel and having a maximum speed of less than 45 mph. Electric vehicles designed to travel 45 mph or more have an “A” prefix on the plate (625 ILCS 5/3-805).

However they commonly issued the A plates to vehicles capable of less than 45 MPH, and the 'non A' plates to vehicles capable of more than 45 mph.  (The reverse of what the guideline suggests)

That plate guideline is currently at:  www.sos.state.il.us/publications/pdf_publications/0203lp_guide.pdf but I have a downloaded copy if anyone needs.

More recently, the requirement that the Secretary of State issue distinctive license plates for electric vehicles has been deleted from the law.  It was unclear how they were going to implement this, and it appears they have not implemented the over/under 45 correctly.  There is an affidavit available from the Secretary of State to certify that an EV is capable of more or less than 45 MPH. 

Perhaps, in the past, they issued the incorrect series of plates, and are treating the renewals based on the faulty information.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

rob.dixon

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2010, 06:50:02 PM »
I went to the SOS office at the Thompson Bldg.  My renewal notes ELE under 45 mph.  I can do highway speeds easily.

I planned to wait until the next renewal to look into and to see what happens with any administrative changes to license plate handling.

Rob Dixon