Author Topic: EV Pusher  (Read 6265 times)

rich.rezny

EV Pusher
« on: April 08, 2007, 07:13:39 PM »
While killing time at my Saturday job I was surfing the net and I was using www.info.com searching "ev pusher".  I remember reading an article in Homepower magazine about the subject.  There are several "ev pusher" topics listed.  One I found quite interesting was at www.mrsharkey.com . He has a VW Rabbit EV and used another VW Rabbit diesel front end as a pusher to extend his range of his EV. His article is quite interesting and well written with many pictures. Check it out!!! Rich R   8)

howard.hansen

• Contributor
Re: EV Pusher
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2007, 02:43:49 AM »
For the past 18 months, I've had a 95 Honda Nighthawk motorcycle in my back yard.  It's in very nice condition except for a serious smash to the front end.  Maybe not the ideal pusher engine but it's what I have.  Here's the idea.  Lop off the front wheel, forks and handlebar.  Weld a piece of driveshaft maybe 4 ft long to the frame, sticking forward.  Install a universal joint and another short piece of driveshaft with a square welded to that to fit a class 3 receiver.  The U-joint allows the pusher to track like a trailer while keeping it upright.  Much easier than cutting a VW Rabbit in two I think.  The tricky part would be remotely operating the clutch and throttle.  Voila!  My ZEV becomes a PHEV for trips. 
Comments?(other than ROFLMHO)
I'm in no hurry to add a huge heavy hitch receiver.  That would make it resemble a second division vehicle even more.  I'm still trying to get A prefix EL plates!
Howard

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2007, 06:13:18 AM »
Can we get a CAD drawing of that Howard ??  :D

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2007, 12:40:10 AM »
cad\'kad\ n:a man who deliberately disregards another's feelings...

I guess I qualify.  I'll caddishly hand you a pencil sketch since you're unable to visualize my description in your mind ;D

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2007, 12:44:40 AM »
LOL!  You ever consider stand up Howard ?

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2007, 10:05:14 PM »
I've lopped off the front wheel, forks and handlebar.  She actually starts and runs ok! 

How's this for an off-the-shelf remote control for throttle and clutch?  Use a pair of motors, switches and related hardware from power windows.  Auto mechanics who know their way around these parts please comment.  Anybody want to step up as a welder?  John J?  Jim D?