Author Topic: Parts needed for Harper College air/electric youth class project  (Read 5085 times)

ted.karson

In the general section, I posted earlier about a class that I am teaching at Harper College entitled Build a Green Go-Cart: http://www.fveaa.org/forums/index.php/topic,574.0.html .  In this course, students will first learn about the various technologies which can power cars of the future, and then students will build a high performance air/electric powered Go-Cart.  After the course, the go-cart would be stored at Harper College and will be available for future FVEAA needs and/or meetings. 

Additionally, there are some parts that we will need to make the go-cart.  We need:  Remote control shut off, ultra-capacitors, motor controller, alternator, go-cart (engine not important), and a compressed air tank. 

miodrag.zubic

Re: Parts needed for Harper College air/electric youth class project
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2009, 01:16:59 AM »
What voltage system and what motor size (ratings) are going to be used? I might be able to work out a controller donation.

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2009, 11:47:59 AM »
Ted you might want to know that go-karts (gas or electric) are illegal in many suburbs.  My students and I built an electric go kart only to find this out.  We then took the guts out  and put them into a two wheel baby / carrier bicycle pusher.  That pusher is 24 volts and pushes the bicycle 35 mph. Call if you want to talk 708-236-0272.

ted.karson

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2009, 01:06:42 AM »

"What voltage system and what motor size (ratings) are going to be used? I might be able to work out a controller donation."
Thank you Miodrag Zubic. Rich Rezny donated two motors. I believe each motor can run on 12 or 24 VDC.

"Ted you might want to know that go-karts (gas or electric) are illegal in many suburbs."
Thanks for the information Tim. This go cart will be used only for educational purposes and to demonstrate that the air/electric hybrid system will work. It is good to know your go cart project was successful.

Also, we are looking for some Electric Vehicles for Our Green World car rally at Harper College on May 14, 2009 6:30 PM. If anyone is interested in bringing an EV or a muscle car please contact me Ted R. Karson, Harper College CE Instructor and FVEAA member at 847 254 6556 and/or Dr. Cashman, Harper College Manager of continuing Education, Personal and Cultural Enrichment at 847 925 6653 and/or Rich Hirschberg of FVEAA.