Author Topic: Russco battery charger and battery post  (Read 5762 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
Russco battery charger and battery post
« on: January 24, 2009, 07:26:46 PM »
I am thinking of purchasing a Russco battery charger, unless Pioneer Conversions has their battery charger ready.  I saw Russco in the EVDL and I wonder if anyone else has opinions on it.  I also had a third melt down of a post on my GC125 Exide batteries.  I now understand why people have opposed the single bolt post on the newer batteries.  Each time I had to replace the battery I could not use my charger because it is voltage specific.  Exide needs to change their battery holder/carrier method it compromises the post.

michael.willuweit

Re: Russco battery charger and battery post
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2009, 05:06:37 PM »
3rd melted post! :o
How old were the batteries? Do they have any warranty? Is this a common problem with any other manufactures?

joe.downing

« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2009, 03:14:22 PM »
Hey Tim,

You can fix a melted post yourself for about 10 bucks. I melted one of my T-125 posts a few months ago. I made a mold out of 3/4 copper coupler. Since the lead of course did not melt clean, square and level, I had to file some lead down and notch the copper mold to fit the shape of melted lead. I bought packets of fishing lead in different sizes. After opening the caps and letting the battery "air out" for several hours, I covered the battery with wet towels. With a propane torch slowly melt lead into the mold that is now sitting where the post needs to be rebuilt. Insert the new 3/8 bolt into the melting lead making sure the head of the bolt is deep and well seated in the lead. Continue to melt the lead until it fills the mold.

Four months later.......no problems.

I took some pictures of what I did. Let me know, I can send you them if you want.

JD

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2009, 03:29:01 PM »
The battery is under warranty so I am able to replace it, but Joe Downing method sounds great if the battery is out of warranty.  Also I never had this problem with Trojan batteries.