Author Topic: E clips and battery tightening  (Read 4890 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
E clips and battery tightening
« on: December 30, 2008, 03:34:26 PM »
Has anyone ever used E clips on their battery posts?  I was fixing a scroll saw that used a lot of E clips  to secure bolts and I wondered if E clips could be used on the backside of a nut to prevent the battery post nut from creeping.   I usually tighten my battery posts  once a month,( just as needed, and of the course winter cold months need almost no tightening) usually before or after an FVEAA meeting.

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
Re: E clips and battery tightening
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2008, 12:02:18 AM »
I would not recommend them or any compression washers either. Keep doing what has worked for years. My 2 cents
Ken Simmermon

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2008, 12:57:35 AM »
I don't think e-clips, or lock washers, or lock nuts, or even Loctite ® is an answer.  All of these tend to make the nut not be albe to turn on the bolt.  If your problem was vibration loosening the clamp assembly, then any of these would be of some benefit. 

But the problem is not vibration causing loosening, but actual creep in the metal, where the bolt heads and nuts slowly deform into the soft metal of the battery clamp.  The clamp needs to be of soft metal so that it can be fairly easily tightened. In some places this metal creep is called "cold flow."  Cold flow or creep is actually a very slow oozing in the solid metal away from pressure.

Think of the "creep" in the metal of the clamp as a deformation of the metal over time.  If the metal deforms a little, a simple tightening will be the best answer.  Over the course of a lifetime of a battery clamp, the face that the bolt head works on and the face that the nut works on become significantly closer together.   

At regular service of the batteries, and with your regular tightening, one should always inspect each clamp.  After some time, the deformation becomes excessive.  If the two faces that the bolt and nut press on are no longer parallel, the battery clamp should be replaced, or at least temporarily reworked.  If the bolt through the clamp is already bent, you needed a new clamp yesterday.

Your scroll saw bolts obviously loosen by vibration, and not metal deformation.  Save the e-clips and lock nuts for the scroll saws of the world.

It is a reasonable idea to use a correctly sized special washer to attempt to keep tension on the clamp.  Belleville Washers (a.k.a. cupped spring washers) could be used for this. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belleville_washer  Occasionally I have used a split lock washer (for washer types see http://www.boltdepot.com/Fastener-Information/Type-Chart.aspx and scroll down to washers) but you should not put a split lock washer against the soft metal of the clamp.  The split lock washer should be sandwiched between a flat washer and the regular nut.

« Last Edit: December 31, 2008, 03:18:46 AM by rich.carroll »
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

tim.moore

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 03:54:05 AM »
Thanks  Rich and Ken. Like Celozzi Ettleson, FVEAA is where you always save money.