Author Topic: Aurora Avcon Charging Problem/Status  (Read 5832 times)

joe.downing

Aurora Avcon Charging Problem/Status
« on: October 13, 2008, 07:59:18 PM »
The Aurora Avcon has not been turning on for several weeks. This started after several months of using it with success on a daily basis. Ken Simmermon rewired the inlet and we were able to charge the EV using the Avcon at Packer Engineering. So I knew the EV was wired correctly. I also, borrowed the FVEAA Avcon tester box to use in Aurora.

I met Sam (Aurora Electrician) at the Avcon today. He opened the Avcon. The contactor was showing 250 volts. Neither the tester box or the car was closing the contactor. He was able to close it manually. Once this closes, obviously, the circuit is closed and the charging cord is live. This should close automatically when it senses that the charge receptacle has mated to a properly wired Avcon Inlet on an EV (or a Ken Simmermon tester box).

Sam then disconnected the wiring that attached to the circuit board in the Avcon. I'm assuming these two wires somehow mate to the blue wire in my inlet, thereby communicating to the circuit board that a properly wired EV is requesting the contactor be closed. He disconnected those two wires from the circuit board, reconnected them and we had success. Now Ken's tester box and my EV both close the contactor when the receptacle is inserted.

Sam said he had talked to Avcon last week. They wanted some further diagnosis and then they would probably come out. So he is calling them. Possibly something on the circuit board is loose, not sure. Right now my car is charging at the train station.

Thanks for everyone's help. I'll keep you posted.

Joe