Author Topic: 1990 Ford Ranger  (Read 5599 times)

robert.wood

1990 Ford Ranger
« on: October 01, 2008, 07:45:55 PM »
I finally decided to purchase a 1990 Ford Ranger for my first electric conversion.  I'm neither a car mechanic or electrician, but I am determined to get this project done.

I've removed the engine and related engine related parts, muffler and pipes, gas tank and bed.

The EV kit I purchased is from EV America, which includes a clutch adaptor/electric motor coupler.  I'm happy to report the clutch adapter finally arrived yesterday.  Now I have all the parts except the batteries. 

The electric control board was assembled and wired last week.   I have to say it was alot more fun than pulling all the old dirty parts.   

My plan is the remove the transmission and attach to coupler and electric motor this week.  I'll be working on the truck this Friday morning starting at 10am in unincorp. Hinsdale (timberlake).  Please feel free to come by a take a look at my project or lend a hand.  I'll email my address to those interested.

I've purhcased a small arc welder but still need a teacher.  Please contact me if you are willing to help or teach me how to weld. 

Photos to come later.

Thanks, Bob

P.S.  Hopefully it will be Lithum Ion next year.

robert.berkemann

Re: 1990 Ford Ranger
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2008, 12:36:27 AM »
May be able to come by Friday morning.  email address

robert.berkemann

« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2008, 12:41:35 AM »
May be able to come by Friday morning.  Email address to:

rberkemann@comcast.net

robert.wood

« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2008, 08:21:45 PM »
Bob B.,

I've manged to finish building the EV Ranger.  However I am not having success getting the motor to work.

I'm getting both contactors to work as planned.  The first contactor fires when the key is turned.  The second contactor fires with pedal down.  I'm getting 150 volts to the controller. 

I ran an Ohm test on the potbox, with 10 ohms at pedal up and no reading at pedal down.   This seems to be a problem.  The potbox is new and the wire connections look good.  I'm hoping to finish the troubleshooting with EV America directly after the Christmas weekend, hopefully Monday the 29th.

Let me know if you'd like to take a look.   

Bob 

P.S.  The battery management modules still need to be connected after I get the thing working.

robert.wood

« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 11:58:16 PM »
I found the problem and now the truck is running.   ;D

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2008, 04:43:24 PM »
what was the problem?
Ken Simmermon

robert.wood

« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2009, 10:08:23 PM »
The electric motor has four posts.  I connected the contactors to Postive1 and Negative1.  I didn't know that I needed to connect a cable from Postive2 to Negative2.  Once the cable was connected the motor started right up.

Bob