Author Topic: '97 VW Golf GL conversion to EV by a rookie with a kit  (Read 13207 times)

mike.kaindl

• Help make it better.
Re: '97 VW Golf GL conversion to EV by a rookie with a kit
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2010, 05:01:12 AM »
A little more update:

After a week on the road, there are a few things that still need some immediate attention
  • At speed (30 mph and above) there is some wind noise coming from the back.  I think I'll have to pull off the back bumper assembly and seal up better the back-side cracks around the back battery box.
  • I have to develop a better torsion constraint on the motor.  Until I do, I can't get a good feel for acceleration.
  • I have yet to install the traction pack and auxiliary battery volt meters, nor the motor ammeter.  The speedometer and tachometer are not working.  I'm also going to install a brake vacuum gauge, for a little peace of mind.  Until then, I'm flying blind (not good).
  • I am a little dissappointed in the Curtis controller whine, and the vacuum pump noise.  This is not bad enough to warrant spending any resources to fix, but it's priority will start to float up as I get the other stuff fixed.

Overall, I'm very pleased with the car. I kind of rushed it out onto the road, but I had to get a little pay-back for all the work.  I won't find out the top speed until I have the speedometer fixed, but I will report that there's no problem keeping up with traffic in 45 mph speed zones (I guess I've had it up to 55).  I'll fix the above items and drive it until it gets too cold (with no heat).  Then I'll bring it in off the road and work on a whole laundry list of "would like to have".  This project turned a lot more fun as soon as the tires hit the pavement.
Decision 2010 -- I think we've seen enough.  Bring back a little fiscal sanity.