Author Topic: Milwaukee Electric Car Build  (Read 23078 times)

tom.gralewicz

Re: Milwaukee Electric Car Build
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2009, 07:52:08 PM »

January 4th meeting:

We spent the day working on battery trays.  Ben brought his video equipment and shot another "how to" video on making battery trays. 
The rest of the crew worked on building the trays and installing them in the car.  Its coming together nicely, it looks like there will be room for 23 batteries in the back of the car and another 4 under the hood.

Saturday January 17th SWEVA meeting:

The Southern Wisconsin Electric Vehicle Association will be holding its next meeting at Tom G's house the Saturday before the build (January 17th) in the room above the garage from 10am till 1pm everyone is welcome!

This is going to be primarily a show and tell type meeting.  Bring your project to show off and talk about.  We should be able to get at least 2 more vehicles in the garage and anything else in the driveway.  If you plan on bring a vehicle let me know what and plan on showing up around 9:30 so we can get them in the garage.

There will also be a Milwaukee Amateur Robotics club meeting that afternoon at the same location, also open to the public.

Next Meeting:   Sunday January 18th 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

More fun with Battery Trays, I would like to get everything bolted in place and marked, then we can pull them.  I have access to a sand blaster to clean them up before painting.
The next step will be to mount the disconnect and battery monitor where the back seat used to be and the motor controller in the back of the car.

We can also put the drive shafts back in, get the front end aligned and look at installing a wiring tube from the front to the back.

Any other projects people want to bring?
If you want to bring a project to work on or hold a meeting at your
work shop, drop me an e-mail or just post to the above list!

Come one come all, watch, talk, and participate!

Tom Gralewicz
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.   Greenfield, WI  53220
Plenty of on-street parking
10AM to 2PM
Call Tom if you have any questions (414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday February 1st
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2009, 01:05:53 AM »

January 18th meeting:

It was a busy weekend, over 20 people showed up for the South Wisconsin Electric Automobile Association Saturday and we hand a good turnout Sunday for the build.

A large steel Q was fabricated to mount the tail end of Ben's motor in his Metro, thanks Rich for the use of the plasma cutter and belt sander.

More battery boxes were fit into Tom's Neon and the cable pipe was rough fitted under the car.

Next Meeting:   Sunday February 1st 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

More fun with Battery Trays, I would like to get everything bolted in place before Sunday so I can sand blast and paint the trays, but if history is any gauge, we will still be fitting battery trays.  I should have some clamps to bolt the cable run hose to the bottom of the car.  We can make a template for the plastic covers for the battery trays.

If Ben brings the metro I suspect we will try to build mounting trays for the motor controller, vacuum pump, etc.

Tom Gralewicz
10AM to 2PM

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday February 15th
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2009, 10:02:43 PM »

February 1st meeting:

We had a great turnout.  Swee brought his Trike and we had fun "lightning" the front end.

We made some great progress on fitting the battery boxes and running the wire guide under the Neon.

Next Meeting:   Sunday February 1st 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

Swee left his trike at the garage and we plan to move the motor mount this Sunday
Rich can you bring the plasma cutter?  If not we can use the Sawzall.

I came down with the flu thats going around and didn't get any work done on the battery boxes for the Neon in the last 2 weeks so I hope to finish up the mounting this Sunday.
I am also looking at bolting important stuff down in the engine compartment as well.

Ben has been playing with "Turbo" mode on his metro and I suspect there will be much discussion and ideas for that.

Tom Gralewicz
10AM to 2PM

--
Tom Gralewicz
Midwest Computer Recyclers
(414) 380-1716
www.deadcomputers.com

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build March 1st, 2009
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2009, 11:11:30 PM »

February 15th meeting:

We had a great turnout.  Swee brought his Trike and Rich his plasma cutter and we got the motor re-mounted.

Someday my batteries will have a home...   We did make good progress but I messed up the back box support, a little cutting and re-welding and it should be done.  We also got the tray for the 12V battery done.

Next Meeting:   Sunday March 1st 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

I hope to finish the battery boxes and get them loaded up for blasting and painting.  There are still some things to mount in the engine compartment.

We can start on the disconnect and power distribution panel - where the old back seat was.

Tom Gralewicz
10AM to 2PM

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday February 15th
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 02:06:45 PM »
Something useful:    http://www.mpja.com/prodinfo.asp?number=16370+ME
    An LCD thermometer with a remote sensor for under $4.

A great turn out including some good Pizza!

We finished the battery trays for Tom's Neon, they are out for sand blasting and paint.

Ben got a new battery box under his back seat, much cutting (thanks for the use of the pasma torch Rich) and welding and it looks great!

Next Meeting:   Sunday March 15th, 2009   From 10AM till 2PM

No more battery trays for the Neon!  :-)  Its time to move on - Mount the master disconnect, HV and LV distribution boxes and start running some wire.

What ever other people want to bring.

At Tom Gralewicz House
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220

(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday April 5th, 2009
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2009, 04:52:20 PM »

February 15th meeting:

We had a great turnout.  Swee brought his Trike and Ben his Geo, as well as the house car the Neon.
Lots of fun was had cutting, welding, and drilling holes!

Next Meeting:   Sunday April 5th 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

Ben is getting a 144V controller, so I expect we will be working on his battery pack to go from parallel to series.

The Neon needs the disconnect and HV distribution panel installed and wired.  Work on the 12V box and wiring are also planned.  I need to put the axel nuts back on and re-install the washer fluid tank.

Tom Gralewicz
10AM to 2PM

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday May 1st
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2009, 08:02:22 PM »

April 19th meeting:

It was a good time, we had Swee's trike and the Neon to work on.  Swee got the fenders mostly complete and the Neon has its insulation cut for the battery boxes and the main disconnect ready to install

Next Meeting:   Sunday May 1st 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

The Neon needs insulation glued into the battery trays and the main disconnect installed.  A little work on the front wheels and put the windshield washer tank back in.

Swee plans on bringing his trike:  finish the fenders, wire the lights and work on the seat and pot.

Ben might bring his electric motorcycle and some interesting parts to tinker with.

Remember the plan is to meet 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month, if you want to bring a project to work on drop me an e-mail the weekend before and I'll add you to the plans.  If you want help transporting your project to the work location or want to host a build at your place just let me know.

Tom Gralewicz
10AM to 2PM

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday May
« Reply #22 on: May 14, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

May 3rd meeting:

It was Motorcycle Heaven!  Ben brought his cycle and another closely related bike was there (I forgot who's it was) Swee had his trike in for more work and after the meeting Rich dropped off a frame for the start of another motor cycle project.

The Neon is making good progress, wires have been run from the front to back, the motor was plugged into its harness (nothing on the other end yet) and the main disconnect and power monitor box got mounted and partly wired.

Next Meeting:   Sunday May 17th 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

Neon:
I spent last weekend wiring the power monitor box and plan to test it this week.  The battery boxes got their foam liners.  So this Sunday its time to finish the battery trays!  Yep, that right, no more battery trays to work on!  Once they are bolted in we can start placing batteries and make the hold down plates with attached chargers.

Ben and Swee both have other plans this Sunday so there is plenty or room to bring your project to work on.

Drop me an e-mail if you want to work on something along with what you want to do. We can have people bring tools, materials, and help transport if necessary.

Someone asked for some aluminum channel (I forgot who),  I have a 6' piece at the garage.

Remember the plan is to meet 1st and 3rd Sunday of each month, if you want to bring a project to work on drop me an e-mail the weekend before and I'll add you to the plans.  If you want help transporting your project to the work location or want to host a build at your place just let me know.

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday June 7th
« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2009, 05:31:54 PM »

May 17th meeting:

The battery trays got bolted into the Neon and I have been bringing batteries home since then.  The hold down/charger mounts got cut but need to be drilled and wired.

Chris stripped the motorcycle chassis and started blasting and priming it.

Next Meeting:   Sunday June 7th 10am till 2pm  Tom G's House (see address below)

Neon:
The battery trays are done!  Long live the battery trays!
Next we make the hold down plates, mount the chargers, and start wiring it all together.  Mounting the motor controller is also on the list.

Tim plans on bringing his electric tractor mower

Chris is likely to be working on his motor cycle.

Ben and Swee both have other plans this Sunday so there is plenty or room to bring your project to work on.

Tom's Garage
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Buildn Sunday June 21st
« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2009, 04:17:57 PM »

June 7th meeting:

Neon:    We got the hold down plates cut and drilled and a good start on mounting and wiring the battery chargers.

Tim's Mower:  A tear down on the mower deck to replace some bearings and some good ideas on getting the clutches working well

Chris's Motorcycle:  A box of new parts and some fitting, a little more blasting of the frame as well.

Plans:
June 21st Meeting

Neon:    More wiring and mounting the AC Drive.  I would like to power up some of the chargers as well.  We'll look into paralleling the hawker batteries to fill the open battery slots as a temporary measure until the car is running and I buy some batteries.

Tim's Mower:  Rebuild the deck and work on putting the rest together.

Ben, Swee, and Rich are not going to make it this Sunday so if anyone has a project they want to work on bring it along!

Tom's Garage
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build July 5th
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2009, 07:53:21 PM »

June 21st meeting:

Neon:    We tested and charged some of the hakwer batteries as temporary batteries until I can get another 8 real batteries.
            Wiring on the chargers and battery hold down trays continued.

Tim's Mower:  We got the deck back together with the new bearings.

Plans:
July 5th Meeting

Neon:    More wiring and mounting the AC Drive.  I would like to power up some of the chargers as well.  Most of the fabrication and installalition is done, now its just a bunch of wiring.

Ben plans on bringing his cameras and I suggested we start an album of our cars on the web site, so bring your e-vehicle if you can!.

Tom's Garage
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday July 19th
« Reply #26 on: July 16, 2009, 04:43:44 PM »

July 5th meeting:

Neon:     Wiring on the chargers and battery hold down trays continued.  Mounted the controllable power strip and wired up the switch box.

Chris's Motorcycle - Finished priming the frame and started putting it all back together.

Plans:
July 19th Meeting

Neon:    More wiring and mounting the AC Drive.

Swee is bringing his Trike for some Battery testing

SURVEY:    Do people like the lunch solutions we have been using or does someone want to be in charge of coordianting lunch?  I have a grill and kitchen available if people want to grill hot dogs or burgers.   E-Mail me with what you think we should do.

Tom's Garage
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday August 16th
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2009, 01:23:15 PM »

August 2nd meeting:

Neon:     Wiring on the chargers and battery hold down trays continued - almost done.  Started front to back wiring

Ben's Mower received a main drive motor transplant and had a nice ride around the street.

Rich showed up in his Citicar, we didn't do anything but admire it!

The plasma cutter has tips and spares

The Air compressor room is almost done with the dryer, automatic drain, and cord reel.

Plans:
August 2nd Meeting

Neon:    Lots and lots of wiring.  One or two more mounting projects, the its just down to the wiring.

Ben is bringing his electric Lawn mower for more work (possibly)

Brian is bringing his recently completed Ford Probe

Chris plans to work on batery and motor placement in his motorcycle

Tom's Garage
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday October 18th
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2009, 04:16:49 PM »

Last meeting we had Rich show up with his electra car and I worked on putting my 4 battery's in the front of the Probe, to the rear, mounting, wiring, and mounting the charger and dc-dc. Also finished putting in the charger plug behind the gas fill door. Most others came to look and shoot the breeze!

Tom, the El-Camino Tom, might be interested in having a meeting at his place. He has the entire side of a barn covered in solar panels and has a wind generator. He also has a second garage with an electric top loader, an original electric riding mower, and two other electrics. They are all powered by four solar panels on the roof of that garage. He has a waterfall running purely on the solar. He also has a ladder fire truck!

Asked how he can afford it, he says cause he's not married!

His new motor showed up, warp9" and so we pulled his ruined whatever it was, brush tore off, and started installing his new motor. Have not finished installing front mount. Hole pattern is different.

Neon:   New batteries ready for some serious tuning, DC-DC Converters is working

Plans:

Tom's Neon:  Electronics:  Get tach working and work on controller speed matching for shifting gears.

Ben:  Time to winterize!   Battery heaters and insulation

Chris:  CAD work (Cardboard Aided Design) on the layout, battery charging and possibly mounting the motor.

Meeting Info:

Where:

Tom Gralewicz's house
6630 W. Coldspring Rd.
Greenfield, WI  53220
(414) 380-1716

When:
10 am till about 4pm or when we run out of steam

What:
Working on cars, talking about cars, dreaming about cars.
We usually send someone out for a lunch run.

tom.gralewicz

Milwaukee Electric Car Build Sunday November 15th - New location
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2009, 03:58:57 AM »

The Saturday Motor pull was a success!   2 more 12" motors, 1 10", and 1 8" motors.  Along with some smaller motors, controllers and various other bits and pieces.  A few people have expressed interest in the motors but nobody has ponied up the $50 and claimed one.  They are at my warehouse if anyone wants to take a look or get one for a project.

Chris's Motorcycle:  The frame was adjusted with a little brute force and Mr. Blue wrench (a torch) and the battery trays are coming along nicely.  He has a motor controller to start with but still needs a throttle - anyone with a motorcycle pot box?

Neon:  New springs in the back and it rides like a Cadilac!  (Ok, more like a chevy - but still much nicer.)
A hand controller from one of the fork lifts Saturday and A new shift knob with buttons is born.  Since Sunday I have installed the new shift knob and wired my garage for 220V charging.  Range for the first 2 full charges was 53mi and 48mi.  I'm still tweaking the controller and hope to get the drive smoother and a little more range.

Swee's trike got some insulation and general tweaking.

Plans:

Tim needs help pulling the motor on his 2002 Ford Ranger so the next meeting is at his house.
Starting at 9am till the motor is out or we get cold!

I plan on bringing a socket set and some other bits for pulling a motor.
I'm not sure if my bridge crane will be wide enough, can anyone bring an engine hoist?
Bring your own tools 

I figure from 9am 'till the motor comes out or it gets dark or it starts snowing or something.  I don't have much in the way of tools and I don't know what else might be required to get the motor out so I'd say, bring your favorite wrench set, a cherry picker, perhaps a torch? I dunno. I have most of the exhaust removed except for one stubborn bolt so I sawed through the pipe.  The power steering pump is also giving me problems so it's still connected.  I'm not sure what else has to be removed before we start disconnecting it from the trans and the engine mounts.  Maybe it would be a good idea to have someone else look at it who knows what they're doing before the 15th to get a better idea?

There might be room in the garage for another vehicle and there is plenty of level space on the drive.

I don't live too far from Tom's place:  7466 S. 46th St. Franklin.  Take 46th street South from Rawson Ave.  Stay left at the fork and go all the way to the end of the street.  We're the last house on the left.  Remember to mention there will be pizza and beer for all.  Unless it's really cold then maybe hot chocolate or coffee instead of beer.

Thanks, Tim
414-421-9788

Meeting Info:

Where:
7466 S. 46th St. Franklin
Tim:  414-421-9788

--
Tom Gralewicz
Midwest Computer Recyclers
(414) 380-1716
www.deadcomputers.com