Author Topic: Electric Bug Conversion - Saturday Morning Working/Learning Sessions  (Read 15239 times)

todd.dore

• Veteran
Many of you know that I'm currently conveting a gas car to an EV.  Now that we've secured a nice garage to use, I would like to invite any FVEAA member or guest who is interested in seeing how a conversion is done to come along and help out.

The more hands, the merrier!

Not only would additional hands be nice, I could also use some help with technical issues - installing the main battery box, the manual transmission, mating the trans onto the electric motor, etc.

This Saturday morning (5/17), and every Sat. morning, I'll be at the garage for a few hours to work on the car.  Come one, come all!  If you're an 'EV expert' or a beginner, everyone is welcome!

I'll bring along some breakfast treats (donuts and coffee) and will be there at 9am.  Wear some grubby clothes that you don't mind getting dirty, and be prepared to learn, laugh, and work on an EV conversion!  The car is a 2001 VW New Beetle that will make one sweet conversion when it's done.

The address is 2820 S. Highland in Berwyn, IL.  The garage is located towards the back of the property.

My cell phone is 708-307-1399 in case you need to get in touch with me.

I look forward to seeing you on Saturday morning!

-Todd Dore

eddie.roman

This weekend isnt good for me but I live near by.  Definitely will take you up on it.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Hey Todd, Count me in for some help!  i suggest you post your intended tasks for a given Saturday ahead of time, perhaps Thursday night, so people can see if their skill sets/desired learning mesh with the tasks at hand.  Great idea to invite us all to help/learn, thanks!

todd.dore

• Veteran
Last weekend the 1st inaugural electric bug conversion session went well - thanks to all who attended (Matt, Wayne and Jim).

This Saturday 5/24/08 we're doing it again - 9a-noon.  The address is 2823 S. Highland in Berwyn (that's the correct address).

We plan on measuring/fabricating the motor mount for both the tail shaft and the torque rod.  We will also be fabricating a support across the front of the car to support the last battery box.  It would be great if anyone with metal fabrication skills (hint - Wayne!) would come out for this week's session.

We'll have coffee, donuts, and juice.  Please wear grubby clothes because we do get a little dirty.

Come one, come all - what else would be a great way to kick off the Memorial Day weekend but to see how EVs are built!

Please call with Qs - 708-307-1399

-Todd

eddie.roman

I wont be available until after 1 PM.  If you plan on doing any other work during the long weekend let me know.  I have an engine lift if you havent removed the engine yet. 

todd.dore

• Veteran
Eddie:

I might do some work later in the weekend as well.  How about if you give me a buzz?  708-307-1399

todd.dore

• Veteran
This Saturday will be the 3rd one for the Elec Bug conversion.

Last week's session was another successful adventure!  My thanks to George, Steve, and Wayne.  We mapped out the motor mount for the passenger side of the motor, aligned the motor/trans assembly better for final fitting, and set the specifications for a cross-bar to mount the front battery box.  This front mount will also act as an anchor for the Plexan (sp?) board that all the controls will mount to.

On Memorial Day I was also able to do final sealing of the main battery box and removed the rear springs.  Since we're adding over 1,000 lbs. to the middle and back of the vehicle with the batteries, we need heavy duty springs.

Come on down to 2823 S. Highland in Berwyn at 9a on Saturday morning, 5/31/08.  Free coffee and donuts for your time.  Learn how an EV is built!

For this week's session, Wayne will bring both the passenger side motor mount along with the cross bar for installation into the car.  We can also mount the front battery box, and shape and cut the Flexan for mounting the main components.

It's always fun and interesting - so come on out and be a part of EV history, right here in Chicagoland!

My phone is 708-307-1399 if you need to get a hold of me.

-Todd Dore

todd.dore

• Veteran
Re: Electric Bug Conversion - Saturday Morning Working/Learning Sessions
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2008, 04:55:29 AM »
Next Saturday, 6/7/08, will be the 4th Saturday for the conversion of Electric Bug.  Thanks to all who have helped so far!  George, Matt K., Jim D., Matt R., Steve Clarke, and Wayne (please forgive me if I've forgotten anyone).

We've achieved so much - the engine and trans are mounted, and we're ready to continue.

Next Saturday we will be installing the front battery box with a new mount fabrication, tack-welding the main battery box to the frame of the vehicle, and start the installation of the flex tubing underneath the car for the 2/0 cables.  I've also ordered most of the main components and should have those shipped within a week or two.

So come on down to 2823 S. Highland in Berwyn, IL.  As always, I'll provide coffee, donuts, and juice.  We begin at 9am and usually go until noon or 1pm.

All are welcome, so come on by to see how an EV is built!

-Todd
(708) 307-1399

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: June 12, 2008, 03:56:24 PM »
Last Saturday was another success - thanks to Wayne for coming by to help out.

Next Saturday 6/14 is #5 and we are looking forward to continuing to mount the front battery box and a Flexan board to put all the electric components.

There are a number of parts which should arrive in the next 2 - 8 business days, so we can start mounting and measuring things.

Please come by and see how a real EV is converted!  Breakfast juice and munchies will be provided.

2823 S. Higland in Berwyn, IL  from about 9a - early afternoon.

Any questions, I can be reached at 708-307-1399.

We look forward to seeing you there!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2008, 06:48:52 PM »
Tomorrow 6/21 will be Saturday #6 for the Electric Bug conversion.  Thanks to those who participated last week - Wayne and Charles.

We finished installing the front battery box and finished up all the transmission links.  Everything works - I can spin the motor and shift all the gears - clutchless!

Next week we will shape a template for the control board.  We will also be shaping a template for a sub-board which will go below the control board.  I have all the major control components in except the power steering pump.

Come on by to see how a true EV is converted.  We'll supply juice and coffee.

9am at 2823 S. Highland Ave., Berwyn, IL.

Please call me at 708-307-1399 if you have an questions.

Hope to see you there!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2008, 04:25:03 AM »
This Saturday 6/28 will be session #7 for the Electric Bug conversion.

Last week was a resounding success!  We had a record attendance!  Thanks to all who stopped by to help out.

Next week we will be finishing the main and secondary component boards and mounting those into the car.  The Lexan will look very nice!

Come on by to see how a real conversion is done.

2823 S. Highland Ave., Berwyn.  We start at about 9am and continue to early afternoon.

I'll provide breakfast drinks.

Please call at 708-307-1399 if you have questions.

See you there!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2008, 02:34:24 AM »
This Saturday - 7/5 - will be session #8.  About 2 months of the Saturday morning conversions!

Last week we finished the double-decker mount for the major components.  Thanks to all who helped out.

The batteries are in!  Next Saturday we will cut the cables and start to crimp some lugs onto the cables to wire it up.

Come on out - OJ will be provided, and see what an EV conversion is all about!

2823 S. Highland Ave. in Berwyn.  We will start at about 9a and go until 1 or 2pm.

Have a good 4th of July Holiday and see everyone there!

-Todd

todd.dore

• Veteran
*** Electric Bug Conversion - Update for Saturday July 5, 2008 ****
« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2008, 01:19:22 AM »
Folks -

I've unfortunately come down with a nasty bug and spent the morning today (July 4) in the ER at Rush-Pres.

As such, I cannot make it to the work session tomorrow for Electric Bug.  So, the session is cancelled.  I apoligize in advance to anyone that has to re-arrange their schedules and appreciate your support.

My wife, Maribel, will come by the garage tomorrow morning at about 9am to let anyone who shows up know that our session has been cancelled.  She will also leave a note on the garage door to that effect.

Sorry about this - I'll get better and we can continue next Saturday 7/12/08.

-Todd

708-307-1399

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2008, 03:32:34 AM »
I'm back in form and beter than ever.  This week I've received the DC-DC converter, the ammeter shunt, the main Anderson disconnect switch, and the power steering pump.

This Saturday 7/12 let's do it again at 9am, 2823 S. Highland Ave, Berwyn.

Come one, come all - free orange juice!

See how an EV is built.

This weekend we will measure and cut the 2/0 cable for the back battery box.

Call if you have questions -

Todd 708-307-1399

See you there!

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2008, 04:14:55 AM »
Here we are, another Saturday with an EV conversion!

Come on over and see how cars are converted to EVs.

We didn't get to cut the cables last week, so let's work on that this Saturday, 7/19/08.  2823 S. Highland Ave., Berwyn, IL.  The garage is located near the back of the property.

Come on out for some EV fun!

-Todd 708-307-1399