Author Topic: Want to build/buy small cheap temperature switch for battery heater control  (Read 8695 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
i want to build or buy a cheap small circuit that will switch my battery heaters off when they hit a certain temperature.  Instead a temperature sensor in each battery box that are connected to a central control unit that can monitor and switch on/off the boxes independently would be nice.

This isn't rocket science, but i don't want to reinvent the wheel either.  Has anyone heard or seen such a product or circuit ?   If not, how about you electronic gurus out there share an approach to making one myself.

i think this would be a generally useful circuit to have available for FVEAA members, since we're all dealing with the same cold winter temps here in Chicago.

Thanks!

paul.becke

• ElectricMiata
Between what temperatures do you like to keep your battery boxes?  How many battery boxes do you have? What is the watt ratting of each heater, or voltage and current rating.  I assume that these heaters run off of 110 AC.  Do you need to monitor the temperature or need any kind of gauges?  How much are you willing to spend?

There are many solutions to temperature control, everything from using a thermostat for a house to using industrial PID controllers.  One rather inexpensive solution does not use electronics at all.  Many refrigerators use a simple sealed chamber that drives a pressure switch.  As the temperature warms up the pressure increases and the pressure switch turns on the compressor.  In your case you would want to invert the operation.

Paul

rich.rezny

What kind of temperture control is used in an electric blanket? Probably some kind of simple snap switch that has a narrow operating range.  Go to the McMaster-Carr catalog online and see what kind of temperture controls they have. If a simple snap switch would work then one could be used in each battery box.  Rich

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Thanks for the excellent questions for more details Paul!

i want to be able to heat the batteries between 50-70 degrees F.

i have 4 battery boxes, each has 3/4" PS insulation on the top, bottom and sides.

The front (engine compartment) box and rear box (behind rear axle) are square, have 6 batteries in a 3x2 arrangement.
The two side boxes (on either side of the drive shaft) have 4 batteries in a 4x1 arrangement.
In keep the input heat approx. equal for each battery, i use a 80w blanket for the 6 battery boxes (13.3w/battery) and a 50w blanket for the 4 battery boxes (12.5w/battery).

The warmers run off of 110V AC before and while i'm charging.

The scientist in me wants to be able to monitor the temperature of each box on a digital display, as well as control their temperatures.
i'm willing to spend a couple hundred as long as i have a solid reliable solution.  i'm an electronics hobbist wanna be... i imagine building a PIC computer controlled device that has 4 inputs for the thermocouples in each box and 4 outputs that can switch the heaters on and off.   Thanks!

Between what temperatures do you like to keep your battery boxes?  How many battery boxes do you have? What is the watt ratting of each heater, or voltage and current rating.  I assume that these heaters run off of 110 AC.  Do you need to monitor the temperature or need any kind of gauges?  How much are you willing to spend?

There are many solutions to temperature control, everything from using a thermostat for a house to using industrial PID controllers.  One rather inexpensive solution does not use electronics at all.  Many refrigerators use a simple sealed chamber that drives a pressure switch.  As the temperature warms up the pressure increases and the pressure switch turns on the compressor.  In your case you would want to invert the operation.

Paul

todd.martin

As I followed the EVDL, Rich Rudman recommended Thermodisc 36T temperature switches for monitoring battery temperature.  These are snap action, 1/2" diameter bimetal temperature controls available in a wide variety of configurations.  The product brochure has been uploaded to the file bank & Yahoo group site.  One of the suggested uses was for electric blankets.

Thermodisc, www.thermodisc.com

Distributors:
www.grainger.com
www.testco-inc.com