Author Topic: City of Warrenville considers EV parking spot.  (Read 3065 times)

todd.martin

City of Warrenville considers EV parking spot.
« on: February 26, 2008, 06:03:49 PM »
Here's the nibble I received today from Warrenville.  You know the drill - if anyone would park an EV in Warrenville, please let me know so that I'll have more ammunition in my bandelero!

Todd: Thank you for the information about this generous donation. I have asked some key City staff members to consider how to optimize such a donation. I will follow up with you further once I have additional information.

Please contact me if you need any additional information in the interim.

Thank you again.
John
John M. Coakley
City Administrator
28 W 701 Stafford Place
Warrenville, IL 60555
O: 630/39-9427 x 501

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Friday, February 22, 2008 12:24 PM
To: Coakley, John
Subject: Donation of Rapid Charging Station for Electric Vehicles to the City of Warrenville.

Dear John,

The City of Warrenville has been selected by the Fox Valley Electric Automobile Association (FVEAA) to potentially receive a rapid charging station to recharge electric vehicles (EVs).  Selection was based on commitment to environmental stewardship, EV ownership in the City, and site location.  No commitment is requested at this time, we simply want to know your level of interest in receiving the equipment and, if so, whether you would like someone to visit with a sample unit and answer any questions.

The FVEAA was formed in 1975 around the time of the first oil embargo and was incorporated in the State of Illinois in 1979.  We became the Chicago metropolitan area chapter of the EAA (Electric Auto Association, a non-profit 501-C group) in 2004.  We promote efficient and clean electric vehicle use and educate the public on these issues.

The equipment is part of our program to develop a series of public charging stations in the Chicago metropolitan area.  The intent is to promote the use of electric vehicles as a way to reduce local air pollution and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.  Funding is made possible by a grant from the EAA, member donations from the FVEAA, and voluntary contributions made by individuals and corporations. 

Interested participants would receive an AVCON charging station and a sign that marks a single parking spot for electric vehicle use.  A flyer that describes the equipment is enclosed for your review.  To participate, the City would be required to install and maintain the equipment, and place the station within easy reach of a public parking spot.  Use of a sign that reserves the spot for electric vehicles is required.  You are free to designate any public parking spot on your property.  The best location is typically close to an existing power source, but away from the facility entrance (the farther away the charging spot is from the entrance, the less likely it will be needed by conventional vehicles).  Selecting a spot close to a mass transit terminal, downtown shopping, or local attractions is a plus.

AVCON charging stations meet applicable National Electrical Code (NEC) and SAE J1772 for conductive equipment.  It is easy to install and is UL listed.  Required electrical service is 240V on a 40 amp branch circuit using 8 AWG service wire.

A typical recharge from an electric vehicle (EV) would draw about 4 Kwh of electricity and take about 2-1/2 hours.  At a cost of $0.08 per Kwh, the City would pay about $0.32 in electricity.  The City may choose to charge the public for re-charging their vehicles.  However, it has been our experience that the cost to collect fees is greater than the fees collected.

There are a limited number of stations available.  We plan on distributing 10 stations in the Chicago metropolitan area in 2008 (first come, first serve).  The first in the city of Chicago was recently opened with the appearance of Lt. Governor Pat Quinn on Feb. 9th.  If you have any questions or comments about the program, please feel free to contact us.  Thank you for your time and your interest!

Best regards,
Todd Martin
VP, FVEAA
Fox Valley Electric Automobile Association
PO Box 214
Wheaton, IL. 60189-0214