Author Topic: Alternators & Generators  (Read 5635 times)

terry.kane

• Contributor
Alternators & Generators
« on: February 22, 2008, 06:38:24 AM »
Post your thoughts, links and suggestions on the electrical generation part of this project at this topic.  I'll start out by posting this link to a local Chicago equipment dealer with a large stock of parts & units.
http://www.groban.com/alternatorlvl1.html

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Re: Alternators & Generators
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2008, 01:18:03 AM »
We have a talented (but humble and sometimes shy:-) generator guy in our midst, Ken Simmermon.  He sent me these pics and video a while back.  He made this diesel generator from scratch.  Ken, you reading ?  Nice job!

And a short video of it running:

http://www.fveaa.org/fb/118-1874_MVI_163.AVI

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 05:36:13 AM »
Thanks, Ted! 

Ken, we could sure use your help and expertise in the E-REV SIG.  I realize that Glen Ellyn may be a bit far to come on a work night but you would be most welcome!  In either case, your comments via email and here on the forums would be greatly appreciated.

Can you advise specifications on the unit pictured?
Engine HP, fuel consumption rate
Generator type/voltage/capacity, etc.
Total project weight, cost
Anything else you can think of...
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008, 05:36:26 PM by terry.kane »

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 04:16:51 AM »
Hi Terry, Love to help call or e-mail. The specs the engine is a used D600 Kubota 3 cyl Diesel 14HP@3600rpm, I'm running it about 3100rpm. The generator is a Harbour Frieght 10KW peak 7KW cont. 120/240vac. It must run at 3600rpm. Dual belt geared up slitely. Used Vega radiator(it was free) all on a small ridingmower chasis. It only has about 1 hour runtime so not sure of the consumption. The wieght I'm guessing is 250 to 350 lbs. Cost I'm trying to forget but maybe $800 to $900. I like diesels and generators and running them on waste veggie oil, which I happen to be heating my house with right now (just part time).
  When picking a generator remember a 10HP engine can only put out 5KW max cont. You want to run about 80% of that and there are some advantages of running a brushed generator over a brushless. 1800 rpm gens are better than 3600rpm but they are heavy and the cost is higher. I think converting the AC directly to DC would be the best for your project and a 3 phase gen would be good also. Also think about the noise and polution factors when choosing your generator.
Have fun Ken, 847-530-7784 blast321off@yahoo.com

Ken Simmermon

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008, 04:22:42 AM »
Ken Simmermon

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008, 08:37:09 PM »
I found a post on the EVDL that reverred to this company, making high efficiency "pancake" generators.  They also have gensets.  They claim the 15kW diesel genset (for series hybrid application) is only 290 pounds.  I emailed them for a quote.

http://preview.tinyurl.com/563jyu