Author Topic: E-REV Special Interest Group - Official Business  (Read 14633 times)

terry.kane

• Contributor
E-REV Special Interest Group - Official Business
« on: February 21, 2008, 08:59:49 PM »
A small group of FVEAA members has formed the Extended-Range EV SIG for the purpose of exploring the technology.  We've met once in a small group and plan to continue regular meetings going forward.  You can catch up on the discussion by visiting our Forum topic.
http://www.fveaa.org/forums/index.php/topic,179.0.html

I am in the process of putting together a roster of SIG members.  All are welcome to join the SIG, whether you feel you can participate directly or not.  For the time being, meetings will be held at my home in Glen Ellyn, IL on scheduled Tuesday evenings.  The next meeting will be Tuesday, February 26, beginning at 7PM.

The following list are the members who have expressed interest in participating.  Please email back to me if you would like to be included on the roster.  SIG business will be posted on the forum topic but I would like to be able to reach the members via email so we don't clutter up the forum with trivial communications.

Regards,

Terry Kane  [terrypk@yahoo(dot)com] (630) 776-1405

Roster:
 1) Wayne McGuire           wayne@ahscorp(dot)net
 2) Terry Kane                 terrypk@yahoo(dot)com
 3) Matt Kenigson             mkenigson@gmail(dot)com
 4) Ted Lowe                  ted.lowe@fveaa(dot)org
 5) Ricky Hazen               rickyhazen2004@comcast(dot)net
 6) Tracey Talley             talleyrand3@comcast(dot)net
 7) George Gladic             g104gladic@comcast(dot)net
8 ) Matt Welk                  neurobash@sbcglobal(dot)net
 9) Tom Erekson              tl-erekson@wiu(dot)edu
10) Bill Cupples                wr-cupples@wiu(dot)edu
11) Robert Berkemann       rberkemann@comcast(dot)net
12) David Wokosin            wokosin@uwalumni(dot)com
13) Todd Dore                 electricblue0303@hotmail(dot)com
14) Howard Hansen          hghnsn@yahoo(dot)com
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:16:09 AM by terry.kane »

robert.berkemann

Re: E-REV Special Interest Group - Official Business
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008, 02:02:40 AM »
I am interested in joining your group.
I have some ideas and know of some available equip.

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2008, 10:07:13 PM »
OK - our next SIG meeting is confirmed for Tuesday, February 26, 2008 from 7-10PM at my home.  Check the Roster for the address or call me for directions.  Look for the big white van in the driveway once you're on the street.  (630) 776-1405.  Please RSVP, if possible, to terrypk@yahoo(dot)com so I know how many to expect.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008, 10:49:54 PM by terry.kane »

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008, 07:11:14 PM »
Cut & paste mailing list:
wayne@ahscorp(dot)net; terrypk@yahoo(dot)com; mkenigson@gmail(dot)com; ted.lowe@fveaa(dot)org; rickyhazen2004@comcast(dot)net; talleyrand3@comcast(dot)net; g104gladic@comcast(dot)net; neurobash@sbcglobal(dot)net; tl-erekson@wiu(dot)edu; wr-cupples@wiu(dot)edu; rberkemann@comcast(dot)net; wokosin@uwalumni(dot)com; electricblue0303@hotmail(dot)com; hghnsn@yahoo(dot)com
« Last Edit: March 10, 2008, 01:17:32 AM by terry.kane »

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2008, 05:07:43 PM »
I'm also interested in extended range but with a different approach.  See

FVEAA Forums > Member EV Projects > Add-On Projects > EV Pusher

I bought a huge heavy class 3 receiver for the Ranger & am waiting for a nicer day to rinse off the salty grime and get it installed.  I'm no welder so I borrowed some pipes and fittings from work as a temporary hitch.  I'm no robotics expert so I'm bidding on a couple of power window motors on ebay to run the clutch and throttle.  I've gotten title and plate for a homemade trailer many years ago and may do that for the 1-wheel trailer when it's ready.  I recall that the vehicle code describes a trailer specifically as not being self-propelled.  So if I'm pulled over 100 miles from home I'll have to shut it down and deny everything. 
Meanwhile, wife's hybrid needs to go to the bodyshop (my fault) so the Ranger is registered as a truck so she can commute legally.  Yup, Im not so much an ev owner as a trucker with my 400 lb payload.  From now on my handle is "Sweet Pee".  Soon I'll be interested in diesel fuel, prostitutes, no-doz and extra gravy on my mashed potatoes, good buddy.  Sorry bout the rant.  Just irritated about the B-plates.

My point?  Please add me to the SIG.  Thanks.

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:21:10 AM »
OK we're on for Tuesday, March 11 for the next E-REV SIG meeting.
7PM at my place.  Call or email if you need directions.  All are welcome.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2008, 03:53:28 AM by terry.kane »

terry.kane

• Contributor
E-REV SIG Meeting Tuesday, March 18?
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2008, 09:24:00 PM »
Since the meeting didn't happen last week, (except for Matt K. stopping by) how about this week?  I'd like to get commitment from at least 3 people before saying "it's on" this week.  Any takers?  Please email to erev@fveaa.org

If you'd like to be added to the E-REV SIG listserv, please let Ted Lowe or me know.

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2008, 09:50:54 PM »
I'd like to get going again on this project - it seems it was snowing the last time we met!
If you are interested in participating, email me at terrypk-at-yahoo.com
I'd like to set up a meeting in the next couple of weeks and consolidate the information we've all been gathering over the last couple of months.  I think we're pretty close to having enough information to put together a cost estimate for the Phase II unit.  Also - I know Matt would like to complete the design of the phase I unit, including power electronics.

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2009, 06:46:27 PM »
Is anyone still working on this.  I am thinking about giving it a go for my EV and I would hate to reinvent the wheel.

Nathan

773 456 6322

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2009, 09:19:08 PM »
Hi Nathan,

Sadly, this group has stalled, mainly due to my having to make other things a priority in my life for the last year and the fact that Matt Kennigson moved back to Nashville last year.  That being said, you definitely do not have to reinvent the wheel.  A while back, Tim Moore discovered a book called "The Zero-Carbon Car" and it is an absolute gem as a reference on this subject.  Get the book.  Read it.  Save yourself a world of hassle and expense by seeing it done right before embarking on your own project.  I'd love to be of assistance in any way I can and I'll bet some of the other "E-REV Regulars" would too.  Good luck!
http://tinyurl.com/c5m9ov

howard.hansen

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2009, 04:13:14 PM »
I'm working slowly on the 1-wheel pusher.  Universal joint is made out of 4 hitch balls and couplers.  Side stand has been ground off the old 750.  Have to spend more time with the grinder to get more of the weld off the frame.  Then bolt the bike to the universal joint and start the control wiring and mechanisms. You won't believe it til you see it? Me either.   

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2009, 05:53:28 AM »
So - does anyone have a copy of the book mentioned above?  I would like to borrow it if the owner is willing.

Nate - are you thinking of doing this?  It would be a nice summer project and your garage is the right size.  I would like to help out if so -

john.jeide

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2009, 01:11:05 PM »
Yes, I have a copy.  Nice read.  Miata with 120 up front and a small diesel burning fryer fat in the trunk in Canada.

rich.rezny

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2009, 01:28:18 PM »
Borders Books has it in stock in Geneva. With a Borders Rewards card and the 30% off coupon they have on their website the book costs $24.