Author Topic: City of Elgin considers AVCON station.  (Read 8620 times)

todd.martin

City of Elgin considers AVCON station.
« on: February 18, 2008, 04:18:01 PM »
Please note the below response from the city of Elgin.  If anyone uses a metra station in Elgin, please let me know.

Best regards,

Todd Martin
VP, FVEAA

The City of Elgin may be interested.  Where are these stations typically located?  I presume on public property to avoid easement issues.  What are the costs to the City?  Is there a big demand in the area?  I know that we were looking for electric vehicles for City use, but were unable to find anything practical.  Are you aware of what is available?
David L. Lawry, P.E.
General Services Manager
City of Elgin
150 Dexter Court
Elgin, IL 60120
(w) 847-931-5961
(f) 847-931-6152
email: lawry_d@cityofelgin.org

>>> "Todd D. Martin" <tmartin@thomaseng.com> 2/15/2008 11:52 am >>>
Dear John Loete,

The city of Elgin has been selected by the Fox Valley Electric Automobile Association (FVEAA) to potentially receive a rapid charging station to recharge electric vehicles (EVs).  Selection was based on commitment to environmental stewardship, EV ownership in Elgin, and site location.  No commitment is requested at this time, we simply want to know your level of interest in receiving the equipment and, if so, whether you would like someone to visit with a sample unit and answer any questions.

The FVEAA was formed in 1975 around the time of the first oil embargo and was incorporated in the State of Illinois in 1979.  We became the Chicago metropolitan area chapter of the EAA (Electric Auto Association, a non-profit 501-C group) in 2004.  We promote efficient and clean electric vehicle use and educate the public on these issues.

The equipment is part of our program to develop a series of public charging stations in the Chicago metropolitan area.  The intent is to promote the use of electric vehicles as a way to reduce local air pollution and reduce our dependence on foreign oil.  Funding is made possible by a grant from the EAA, member donations from the FVEAA, and voluntary contributions made by individuals and corporations. 

Interested participants would receive an AVCON charging station and a sign that marks a single parking spot for electric vehicle use.  A flyer that describes the equipment is enclosed for your review.  To participate, the city of Elgin would be required to install and maintain the equipment, and place the station within easy reach of a public parking spot.  Use of a sign that reserves the spot for electric vehicles is required.  You are free to designate any public parking spot on your property.  The best location is typically close to an existing power source, but away from the facility entrance (the farther away the charging spot is from the entrance, the less likely it will be needed by conventional vehicles).  Selecting a spot close to a mass transit terminal, downtown shopping, or local attractions is a plus.

AVCON charging stations meet applicable National Electrical Code (NEC) and SAE J1772 for conductive equipment.  It is easy to install and is UL listed.  Required electrical service is 240V on a 40 amp branch circuit using 8 AWG service wire.

A typical recharge from an electric vehicle (EV) would draw about 4 Kwh of electricity and take about 2-1/2 hours.  At a cost of $0.08 per Kwh, Elgin would pay about $0.32 in electricity.  The City may choose to charge the public for re-charging their vehicles.  However, it has been our experience that the cost to collect fees is greater than the fees collected.

There are a limited number of stations available.  We plan on distributing 10 stations in the Chicago metropolitan area in 2008 (first come, first serve).  The first in the city of Chicago was recently opened with the appearance of Lt. Governor Pat Quinn on Feb. 9th.  If you have any questions or comments about the program, please feel free to contact us.  Thank you for your time and your interest!

Best regards,

Todd Martin
VP, FVEAA
179 S. McLean Blvd.
Elgin, IL.
tmartin@thomaseng.com
847-358-5800 ext. 208 (work)

Fox Valley Electric Automobile Association

todd.martin

Update for City of Elgin considers AVCON station.
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008, 06:00:10 PM »
Here's the latest from Elgin.  Looks like an in-person meeting will happen soon to work out the details.

Todd,

Got your recent email.  I am copying my secretary Cyndy Fowler so that she can work with you to set up a meeting to discuss this issue further.  I will have our building maintenance superintendent and our traffic/electrical crew leader at the meeting as well.

David L. Lawry, P.E.
General Services Manager
City of Elgin
150 Dexter Court
Elgin, IL 60120
(w) 847-931-5961
(f) 847-931-6152
email: lawry_d@cityofelgin.org

>>> "Todd D. Martin" <tmartin@thomaseng.com> 2/18/2008 9:53 am >>>
Good morning David,

Thank you for your reply.  I've provided answers to your questions below.  Hopefully, some of the information will be helpful to you.  I would be happy to meet with you in person and demonstrate an electric vehicle (EV) as well as a sample charging unit for "show and tell".

Typically, rapid charging stations for EVs are placed in downtown parking garages or close to train stations. 

Most of the cost is just in the installation.  Maintenance and electric costs are very low, since it is a weatherproof, solid state UL listed electrical box (and a typical car's recharge is only about $0.32).
Installation costs depend on how far the electric service must go to reach the parking spot.  A spot with easy access to electricity can be quite reasonable, costing a few hundred dollars.  If trenching is needed, the cost may rise (Beverly UU paid $1600 to install, including 25' of trench). 

Demand for EV charging is not high.  One of the biggest obstacles in promoting usage of clean and efficient EVs is the lack of places to charge.  Since this is a "chicken and the egg" problem, we need communities to be pro-active to make this environmental choice successful.  Currently, there are a little more than 200 highway capable EVs in Illinois with 4 residents of Elgin as members of our club.  If a spot is chosen in the parking garage next to the Centre, I can state that it will be used at least once a week. 

There are a number of choices today for affordable EVs:

1) You may buy a new Neighborhood Electric Vehicle(NEV), such as a Zap
http://www.zapworld.com/; they have a dealership in the Chicago area.   

2) You may buy a used highway capable EV, such as a Toyota RAV4 or Ford Ranger.  They come with a nickel-metal hydride battery pack and are quite nice.  The most common place to find them is on EBay, www.ebay.com.

3) You may hire a conversion company to make you a new highway capable EV.  A good local example of a conversion company is Pioneer Conversions, at http://pioneerconversions.com.

4) You may convert a Toyota Prius to be a "plug in hybrid", allowing average gas mileage to increase over 100mpg.  A good overview of the kits available is offered here:
http://www.eaa-phev.org/wiki/Prius_PHEV#Kits_and_Conversions

5) You convert a rear-wheel drive vehicle with an automatic transmission to be a "plug in hybrid" by use of an EMIS system from Netgain
Technologies:
http://www.go-ev.com/p20070301_EMIS_Release.html.  This is an excellent choice for utility trucks.

Best regards,

Todd Martin
VP, FVEAA
179 S. McLean Blvd.
Elgin IL. 60123
224-433-1591 or 847-358-5800 ext. 208
tmartin@thomaseng.com

todd.martin

2nd Update for City of Elgin
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008, 05:22:45 PM »
The appointment is for Wednesday March 12th at 10:30am in Elgin.  I'll be bringing a sample AVCON, my EV, and the FVEAA presentation on a laptop.  If anyone else wants to attend, just let me know.

Best regards,

Todd Martin

todd.martin

City of Elgin agrees to AVCON station + 120V outlet / EV Parking Spot.
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2008, 04:57:36 PM »
This morning, I met with Dave Lawry and his staff regarding our proposal to donate an AVCON station for an EV parking spot.  It was the best meeting yet, with an enthusiastic audience.  A prime spot will be dedicated on the first floor of the public parking garage across the street from the City's 'Centre' (a fitness center & indoor pool), the Hemmens (concert hall), City Hall, and close to the Library.  A 120V outlet will also be installed and a sign for 'EV use only'.

Separately, the City of Elgin will purchase a street legal EV (probably a conversion from a drug seizure vehicle) in 2008.  In 2009 & 2010, they want to place an EV parking spot (one in each year) in their other two public parking garages downtown.

Todd Martin
VP, FVEAA

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Re: City of Elgin considers AVCON station.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2008, 03:04:08 PM »
You're awesome Todd, GREAT work!  i look forward to using that location in the future!!!

todd.martin

Update: City of Elgin signs agreement for AVCON station.
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2008, 05:03:05 PM »
This morning, the City of Elgin faxed over a signed agreement letter. 

The EV only parking space will be on the first floor of the parking garage at 95 Symphony Way (adjacent to the Hemmens auditorium, the Centre (city owned fitness center & indoor pool), City hall and close to the Gail Borden public library.

The spot will have both AVCON and a 120VAC outlet.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2008, 06:46:25 PM »
Great Work Todd!  You've opened up a whole new area for me to visit!

todd.martin

Re: City of Elgin installs AVCON station.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2008, 02:50:50 AM »
The City of Elgin has completed the installation of the EV parking spot in the parking garage at 95 Symphony Way, Elgin IL.  It is the very first parking space you see as you drive into the garage, with nice signage.  There is also a regular 120VAC outlet installed for those without an AVCON inlet. 

I tested the AVCON station, and it works wonderfully.  I'll be visiting the garage at least once a week for family swimming at the Centre.  I'll also park there now for visting the library, the Hemmens, or when I attend city hall meetings.

For those of you who came to the Elgin car show, the garage was on the same block as the show.

Best regards,
Todd Martin

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #8 on: September 11, 2008, 03:47:06 PM »
Hi Todd -

Can you please check for me if you have contacted anyone at Chicago State University (9500 S. MLK drive, Chicago) for an AVCON charging station?

My wife works there and we just finished (mostly) converting her 2001 VW New Beetle to electric.  It is 25 miles from our house, with some highway driving.  She could get there in one charge, but probably not home, so she would need to charge there.

I just bought a Zivan 220V charger and it works great.

If you could please let me know, we would appreciate it.

-Todd Dore

708-307-1399