Author Topic: EVT America Z-20a  (Read 19165 times)

scott.taylor

EVT America Z-20a
« on: February 17, 2008, 05:00:13 AM »
I have seen members ask about how to get started in electric vehicles, so I thought I would pass along the approach I have taken.

I currently don't have space to convert a car, and production electric cars with reasonable performance and price still seem to be something for the future.  But I found a vehicle that I feel can supplement my transportation needs.

I live about 5 miles from work, and often ride my bicycle on good days, but when temperatures get below about 60 degrees or there is a threat of ran, I usually get behind the wheel of my car.  I had almost purchased an EVT 4000e scooter, but because I have a short section of road on Butterfield I need to travel, and didn't feel I would be comfortable with its 30 mph top speed.

EVT was advertising a new model, the Z-20, with a bigger motor that they claimed would do 45 mph, and I decided to get myself on the waiting list.  Well, almost 2 1/2 years later, it finally arrived at my doorstep.

While the weather has kept me from really putting this bike to the test, I have had it up to about 40 mph and it still had some room left to go faster.  It is a very smooth and stable ride and is a real "gas" (pardon the expression) to ride!  It has a 60 volt system with a 2500 watt brushless hub motor.  For what I got, I felt the $2400 price tag (cycle and shipping) was well worth it.

I had no trouble registering the bike in Illinois, as it came with all the paperwork you would expect with a new vehicle (Certificate of Origin, Odometer statement, and invoice).  Of course, the "how many CC's" question was still tough to get past, but I was issued a temporary plate and told I would be issued electric "EL" plates for the motorcycle.  Since all electric paperwork needs to go to Springfield, we will see if they deliver.  I was originally concerned about how it would be classified, but having a top speed under 45 mph, put me in the moped category, which is what I wanted (no motorcycle license needed).

I plan to keep the motorcycle charged using an off-grid solar power system I have put together.  I figured I would need about 100 amp-hours of power per day, to keep the bike running totally by the sun.  So, I have a system with some reserve, that should be able to deliver around 200 amp-hours on a good day.  So far, I have peaked at about 70 amp-hours, but the sun is still below the tree line, so this time of year, I rarely have full sun hitting the panels.

If anyone is interested in the progress of my project, I'll try to keep you up to date.

Scott Taylor

eddie.roman

Re: EVT America Z-20a
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 08:02:03 PM »
Thanks for sharing!  I have eyed the Z-20 myself.  Let us know how the solar powering works out!

Eddie

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2008, 08:23:16 PM »
Nice ride Scott!  i'll be interested in hearing the results of your EL plate registration.  Also, go ahead and modify your first post to attach a picture (since your uploading question lead me to find the problem - i had not changed the Uploads directory path since we moved to a new hosting company - THANKS!).
« Last Edit: February 17, 2008, 08:44:33 PM by ted.lowe »

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2008, 08:43:55 PM »
Scott Taylor's Electric Scooter added to Member Vehicles!  Check it out at:

scotttaylor.fveaa.org

ken.simmermon

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2008, 12:33:05 AM »
with a 60 volt pack it should really get up and GO. What do they say the range should be?
Ken Simmermon

tracy.talley

• TMT E-MOTION
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2008, 03:23:43 PM »
For those who are interested in not going over 20 mph (bicycle path legal) with a 40 mile range, check out our Town & Country Cruiser.
http://estore.websitepros.com/1866691/Detail.bok?no=4
I have a demonstrator for those who are interested.
Email me for our special price for FVEAA members.
talleyrand3@comast.net.

Tracy Talley
TMT E-MOTION
Homer Glen, Illinois
www.tmtemotion.com
www.tmtemotion.com
Distributor of Liberty Electric Bikes and Trikes
Homer Glen, Illinois
708 655 6313

scott.taylor

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2008, 04:33:22 AM »
To answer the range questions, it is advertised to go 30-45 miles on a charge.  But seems to me, I found the fine print somewhere, that said it was based on 2.5 mph on a level surface, no wind...you get the idea.

As soon as I get some real world data, I'll post the information.  I expect to be riding in the 25-35 mph range, and will have a 10 mile round trip commute.  The practical range to be closer to 15-20 miles.  So far, I haven't ridden it more than about three miles at a time.  That has dropped the power gauge a couple of notches depending on how many starts and stops I'm doing and how fast I'm pushing it.

The performance is very good.  It has no chance against a Harley, but easily keeps up with traffic.

Scott...

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2008, 03:42:40 PM »
To answer the range questions, it is advertised to go 30-45 miles on a charge.  But seems to me, I found the fine print somewhere, that said it was based on 2.5 mph on a level surface, no wind...you get the idea.

Do you mean 2 point 5 (2 and one half), not twentyfive mph ?

tracy.talley

• TMT E-MOTION
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2008, 03:03:08 AM »
We are expecting the Liberty E-Cycle to arrive next month.
It will have a 3500 watt brushless motor with 60volt 40 amp LiFeP04 batteries.
Top speed over 60 mph with a range of 50 to 90 miles.
It will sell for about half of what the Vectrix e scooter sells for.
If anyone is interested in literature, just email me, for some reason I can't post it here.

Tracy
TMT E-MOTION
Homer Glen, Illinois
www.tmtemotion.com
talleyrand3@comcast.net
www.tmtemotion.com
Homer Glen, Illinois
708 655 6313

scott.taylor

« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2008, 03:11:31 AM »
I couldn't find it the other day, but the statement below is from the Z-20 specification sheet.  I'm glad you asked because I had thought the test speed was 2.0 MPH but now I see they didn't state the speed, it was the frontal wind.  Of course, now I'm wondering if the winds were 2.0 MPH or if they were moving 2.0 MPH faster than their tail wind!

"Range and Speed have been tested with a 160 pound (73 kilogram) driver.  Ideal conditions met; flat paved road; 2.0 MPH (3.2 KPH) frontal wind; 78 deg F (25.5 deg C) temperature; new fully charged batteries.  MUltiple test results average resulted in plus or minus tolerance of 6%."

Scott...

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2008, 11:37:15 PM »
Tracey - perhaps when the weather is better you will bring your bike(s) to a monthly meeting?

tracy.talley

• TMT E-MOTION
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008, 12:51:54 AM »
>>>Tracey - perhaps when the weather is better you will bring your bike(s) to a monthly meeting?<<<

Absolutely Terry.
I anticipate being able to make more meetings now and when I do, I'll have at least 5 models with me for folks to get a feel of and ride if they would like.
Weather is definitely a factor though when it is this brutal.

Tracy
TMT E-MOTION
Homer Glen, Illinois
www.tmtemotion.com
www.tmtemotion.com
Homer Glen, Illinois
708 655 6313

scott.taylor

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008, 02:25:44 PM »
Sounds like there is a lot if interest in the E-Motion motorcycle.

Perhaps that part of the string could be continued in the Classified or EV News sections.

Scott...

tracy.talley

• TMT E-MOTION
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008, 04:11:13 PM »
>>>Perhaps that part of the string could be continued in the Classified or EV News sections.<<<

Good idea Scott.
I'll see if I can get that literature into the news section.
Probably not the classifieds until the bike is actually here.
Thanks.

Tracy
TMT E-MOTION
Homer Glen, Illinois
wwwtmtemotion.com
www.tmtemotion.com
Homer Glen, Illinois
708 655 6313

scott.taylor

Re: EVT America Z-20a - Performance Update
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2008, 03:18:33 AM »
With the sunny weather and above freezing temperatures, I got a chance to take the cycle for a spin and get a better idea of range and performance.

The temperature was around 35 degrees as I rode the cycle around town and to the store.  Lots of stop and go, getting up to 30-40 mph on the roads.  The cycle easily keeps up with traffic on the local streets.  The hydraulic disk brakes are very effective and smooth.  I ran the bike almost 16 miles until the battery meter began flashing red as it approached the last two segments on the meter.  Even with the batteries down to this level, performance was still very good and could easily get to and maintain 30 mph or more.

Later, I began charging the bike from my stored solar power and monitored the power usage using a Kill-O-Watt power meter.  I have a total of 4 12v batteries in two banks that are charged by the solar panels.  The batteries were almost fully charged when I began charging the cycle.  I got about 750 watts-hours out of one bank and about 650 watts-hours out of the other, but it took a total of 1880 watt-hours to fully recharge the cycle.  One thing I have learned is when you are pulling power out at high rates (40 amps in this case), the batteries do not provide anywhere near their rated capacity.  So, looks like I would need to add additional batteries to my solar pack to store enough for a full recharge.  The cycles charger pulls about 430 watts initially and tapers down as the batteries near fully charged.

I figure this translates to about 150 amp-hours for a full charge and so far my solar system has only given me 80 amp-hours on a sunny day.  I've noticed the peak solar current has dropped a bit as the temperatures have warmed up, so I suspect I am losing some power through undersized wiring from the panels.  One potential place to tweak a little more power out of the sun.

So far, this has been a fun way to get some experience with solar and electric power.  I'm sure the cycles range will improve as the temperatures warm and learning to be easier on the start ups (of course the quick starts are more fun).  One of my battery banks is rated for 210 amp-hours and was surprised I could only use about one-third of that capacity. (Die Hard deep cycle marine batteries).  I think I can get more out of them by giving them a rest while recharging the cycle.

That's it for now.  If anyone has any suggestions or comments, I'd be glad to hear them!

Scott...