Author Topic: New Motor Technology with "Integrated Controller"  (Read 2852 times)

terry.kane

• Contributor
New Motor Technology with "Integrated Controller"
« on: February 15, 2008, 07:22:09 PM »
I'm not sure I understand what I'm reading about this motor.  They call it a "brushless AC Motor" that accepts DC input.  The applications include material handling, like forklifts.  Perhaps larger HP would also be possible using this concept?  Any comments from experienced motor guys?

http://news.thomasnet.com/fullstory/540061

miodrag.zubic

Re: New Motor Technology with "Integrated Controller"
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2008, 03:47:40 AM »
Motor type terminology is really screwed up when it comes to thre-phase motors. I've been dealing with motors for quite a while (including teaching motors and motor controls at a unversity - in different language, though) and I always found it interesting that the terminology hasn't been "agreed on" more than it has. Based on the principle of operation, I personally (an many other people from the field have agreed) like to divide them in:
1. Induction AC (asynchronous - no magnets)
2. Synchronous
        - SMPM (synchronous motor with permanent magnets)
        - wound rotor synchronous motors
Brushless DC, for example is really an AC motor. The reason that "brushless DC" name was invented is because somebody wanted to make it a point that (once the commutation is done electronically) it APPEARS as DC motor. The brushless AC type is also nothing more than a synchronous motor with magnets. When it comes to this NEW technology, I would say that there is nothing new about it. People have been integrating controllers with motors for a long time. When they say "accepts DC" it really means that the controller (which is now part of the motor) needs to be supplied with battery voltage just like does in any AC or DC motor system.