Author Topic: EV'S WITH GAS/GEN BACKUP  (Read 30922 times)

matt.kenigson

Re: EV'S WITH GAS/GEN BACKUP
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2008, 11:24:45 PM »
Terry,

Great find!  I've been looking for that document for ages.  Let's use some of the concepts in that document as a template for determining tasks and direction. 

Unfortunately, I won't be able to be at the meeting tonight.  I've got a plane to catch.  Best I can do is to stop by for a few minutes at the very beginning.

Matt

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2008, 08:58:59 PM »
We've been talking about tracking down a small very-low-emission diesel engine.  I found the following blurb at the site posted below.  This may be the smoking gun we're looking for!  If this 40HP CDI was sold in Canada in Smart cars, maybe we can find a wrecked Smart in a junkyard in Canada and get the engine!  I'm excited about this possibility.

February 2004: smart fortwo coupe and cabrio cdi diesels to be sold in Canada beginning in 2004
3.8 liter per 100 km on the highway (62 MPG), 4.6 l/100km in the city (51 MPG) and 4.2 l/100km combined (56 MPG). It's the world's smallest cdi diesel engine with 3 cylinders and 40 hp.

http://www.whnet.com/4x4/diesel_2.html

Another nice thing about a CDI Engine (normally aspirated) is that it is compatible with Brown's gas (HHO) supplemented combustion...

terry.kane

• Contributor
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2008, 11:34:10 PM »
I spent a few minutes this afternoon trying to track down a used 800cc CDI from a smart Fortwo.  So far I found two of them and they quoted me $4,500 and $5,000 (plus shipping).  Perhaps, with negotiation, we could get this figure down but it's not an awful number, I guess.  The AC Propulsion document mentions a 15-25 KW requirement.  I'll be looking next for a ~20 KW alternator.  The document mentions surplus aircraft alternators.  I will spend some time looking for that next.

Let's schedule the next meeting for Tuesday, February 26 from 7:00 PM to 10:00 PM at my house again.  Please email me if you are interested in attending or if you want to be added to the E-REV roster but can't attend.  terrypk@yahoo.com