Author Topic: February 2018 meeting  (Read 5083 times)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
February 2018 meeting
« on: February 15, 2018, 01:49:25 AM »
5:30 Friday the 16th Pre-meeting at Aurora Max Madsen Mitsubishi to drive the 2018 Outlander Plug In Hybrid. 
Look for me, Mike, or ask for Anthony Lacina as he is our Max Madsen guide for that period of time. 

One of the salesman will bring an Outlander PHEV to the Yellow Box for those who couldn't make the earlier slot, to see, but not drive.  I will present the technical side of the vehicle.   

I am looking forward to the Outlander PHEV, and I bring my current Outlander to Max Madsen for service, even though I don't live anywhere near by. 

I will be posting the Feb 2018 presentation here after the meeting.

jeff.green

Re: February 2018 meeting
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2018, 01:47:36 PM »
Thanks Jeff

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2018, 07:40:19 PM »
I haven't posted the presentation yet, but will in a day or two.  In the last week I have committed to buy a PHEV from my brother in Bloomington at O'Brien
https://www.obrienteammits.com/search/new/2018/Mitsubishi/Outlander%20PHEV
Specifically this Red one with Black interior
https://www.obrienteammits.com/vehicle-details/new-2018-Mitsubishi-Outlander-PHEV-normal-il-4-15129

It is a SEL version and I plan to pick it up tomorrow.  This flies in the face of my always buying used but there aren't any used ones to buy.  :(

On a positive note he made me a very good deal on the 2013 Outlander I am trading in which is a big reason why I am doing it now. 

If you look at their site and see the discount pricing, that pricing includes all POSSIBLE discounts, and the price being cut to invoice.  As a current Mitsubishi owner I get all of those discounts and he cut a few extra bucks off beyond that.  Most dealers (including Max Madsen) will cut their price to invoice if asked.  Often they will cut it below that.  So even if you don't own a Mits today you can probably still get that price. 

The trade made it happen.  If anyone wants to jump before the end of February and is willing to go to Bloomington, they are very willing to deal as they are a bit short on SUV sales compared to their factory target. 

I hope to bring it to the next meeting, but my wife may not let me. 

jeff.green

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2018, 12:52:35 AM »
cool

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2018, 01:47:52 AM »
Outlander 2018 PHEV Updates

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2018-mitsubishi-outlander-phev-test-review

"Two large 80-hp electric motors—the one at the front wheels produces 101 lb-ft of torque, and the one at the rear produces 144 lb-ft—lay the groundwork for an effective all-wheel-drive system. A 2.0-liter inline-four making 117 horsepower and 137 lb-ft is mostly employed to power a big 70-kW generator, which feeds power to the main battery and the motors. That’s not quite all, though: Mainly at higher cruising speeds, if it makes sense for efficiency, a hydraulic clutch will also engage the engine—at a tall, fixed gear ratio—while working one or both of the electric motors. The two propulsion motors also double up for regenerative braking."

On charging it only charges at 3.3 KW on 240 volt.  When I charge it from "---" (no EV range remaining) and it will consume 8.11 kWh and take 3 hours and 30 minutes.  There are no settings in the car's menu to adjust charge rate.  The 120 volt charge cable supplied with the car has a switch to change between charging current of 8 or 12 amps. 

For my EV driving it seems to be fairly efficient as long as you leave the heater off.  It IS a resistance heater :( 

With the climate control off on Friday evening I managed to do a drive of 24.1 miles, and was still showing 3 miles of range when I got home.  This was mixed driving of slower country roads along with some stretches at 65 MPH.  The temperature was in the mid forties.  With it only using 8.11 kWh of storage for EV driving that is a fairly efficient 311 Wh per mile, considering it is a chunky SUV I am happy with that.  Since it still had 3 miles when I got home I figured that it probably used abut 7.5 kWh. 

Compared to my old Outlander this one has much more torque at 238 vs. 167, while retaining similar horsepower.  Generally I am happy with the instant response of power this setup provides (of course).

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2018, 01:30:11 PM »
I drove home last night deeper into the "---" and managed to put 8.51 kWhs into the pack.