Author Topic: Tesla Model S rebuilt title $32k  (Read 3671 times)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Tesla Model S rebuilt title $32k
« on: March 02, 2017, 03:49:16 AM »
http://genevaautosales.com/programs/carlotpage.cgi?20131494_714

And it's near by.  I don't know these people or this car.  Still tempting...

simon.gibson

Re: Tesla Model S rebuilt title $32k
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2017, 02:06:31 PM »
If its a rebuilt I'd be a bit suspicious - There's so much complicated stuff in these that I'd wonder how much is waiting to go wrong and how much support Tesla would give?
The more open source this stuff becomes, (and I hope it will); the more we will be able to service and troubleshoot any issues.

simon.gibson

« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2017, 02:14:14 PM »
Actually talking of open source....
The Automotive Grade Linux (AGL) is perhaps worth a look see...
https://www.automotivelinux.org/
Using the Linux platform you can create a neat touch screen interface and not bother with the regular gages etc...

There is also some open source OBD stuff out there - Some enterprising folk have started a kickstarter project to open source the adapters for more advaced connections to automotive data buses. The simple adapter / code reader that you can buy cheaply can't connect to the other proprietary automaker buses Extensions to the CAN bus and other protocols - Can't recall off the top of my head - Something I should road map - This kind of information is important for DIYers who wish to convert an ICE automobile to EV.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2017, 03:03:04 PM »
My biggest concern would be if Tesla would still honor the power electronics and the drive unit.  If it was a front end only and airbags, I would be less concerned, but what they think matters.  I wonder what Tesla would charge to do a prepurchase inspection?  Just to be clear, if I was really serious about this, I would have already found out the answer to that question.

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2017, 12:22:30 AM »
Actually talking of open source....
 . . .  Some enterprising folk have started a kickstarter project to open source the adapters for more advaced connections to automotive data buses. The simple adapter / code reader that you can buy cheaply can't connect to the other proprietary automaker buses Extensions to the CAN bus and other protocols

Simon -
Let me move this from the EV's for sale part of the forums to the Monitor and Control Devices for Vehicles part of the forum.  Sometimes when a discussion gets going, like this one, side topics arise that are just as important, and I tend to move them to the appropriate part of the forum.  Go follow the link, and I'll suggest two manuals that are really ideal. and discuss a recent pair of OBDII-Serial 232 adapters I found NEW on eBay.  Go to: https://goo.gl/ZU1PBQ

« Last Edit: March 03, 2017, 02:01:03 PM by rich.carroll »
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2017, 07:43:29 PM »
A couple of threads on the Telsa motors forum indicate that warranty is almost certainly void, there may be an exception if the repair work was down by a Tesla certified shop though.  Also of interest there was some discussion around getting it inspected by a Tesla certified body shop to make it possible to buy an Extended Service Agreement. 

Other topics, supercharging has been functional for other people.  Phone app still working for other people.  These things make sense as it is hard to know what decision an insurance company may make and then turn then in to a car configuration.  In theory they could track that all down, but it could be legal hot water.  It sounds like early one this was happening but now it isn't, take it and super charge it before you buy it sounds like good advice.

Ebay auction for surprisingly similar car was in the 30's also last year. 

https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/threads/2014-tesla-model-s85-w-o-autopilot-for-sale-update-price-reduced.68525/
Interestingly this guy has a rebuilt title and got warranty work done, maybe "what they don't know won't hurt them" type of deal??? 

Obviously I am still thinking about this, if not for this one but for the next one that comes along.  I wonder which drive unit is in this car??  If I can determine that in the dealer lot and it is one of the known good revisions, this becomes more interesting.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017, 07:27:41 PM »
This car is still for sale.  That is about two months now and the price hasn't changed.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2017, 01:42:36 AM »
Refreshed the listing for this car this evening and the lead picture has "sold" inserted on it.  I am guessing that means a customer has committed to buy it but hasn't taken delivery yet.  Just over two months to sell a rebuilt Tesla for $30K.  These things are moving well!