Author Topic: January 2017 Jeff Miller Charging Infrastructure Presentation  (Read 44578 times)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
Re: January 2017 Jeff Miller Charging Infrastructure Presentation
« Reply #30 on: November 28, 2017, 03:41:53 AM »
The wall is insulated and the first sub-panel, and 50 amp outlet box are mounted and have conduit to them.  With the help of my DAUGHTER! we pulled the worst of the first run, the 30 or so feet from the main to the first pull through corner.  This has 135 degrees of bends in it, the rest have less.  Hopefully tomorrow I can get the pull complete to the subpanel and start connecting things. 

Then it would be time to start on the second sub panel.  (which has conduit most of the way already)

I am definitely going to have to lube those more complex runs for the garage, it was all we could do to move through 135 degrees of bend, and this run was a much lower fill ratio than the garage will be. 

Progress continues. 

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #31 on: November 29, 2017, 06:13:11 PM »
Wow that run sounds very complicated! Glad you got it done and with your DAUGHTER's help :) :) :)

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #32 on: December 13, 2017, 03:33:21 AM »
I don't plan to use something like this but I am unusual.

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/j1772-hydra/

It is the backbone of a dual head charging station, or a dual head setup for a single charging station.  For example if we wanted to have two J1772 at Yellow Box we could plug one of these in during the meeting and it would allow two people to share that station.  It balances the load and all that good stuff. 

I heard about the above little project while I was speaking with the man behind TucsonEV about 75amp J1772 charging cables which is is willing to build and sell to me for a reasonable price!  I was very happy to speak with him and we had a good discussion.  With that item figured out the only other unusual item I need to procure for the OpenEVSE charging stations is a larger contactor / relay.  THe openevse store used to have them on there but they are no longer listed.  I am following up on that topic. 

The cable pull is stalled due to a lack of muscle around the house, it is hung up less than 2 feet from the subpanel.  Looking for help if anyone is motivated to stop by and yank on a rope for me. 

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2018, 04:15:50 AM »
I have used my bigger ladder, my chain hoist and a large steel bar to create a derrick system to pull the wire the last few feet up into the box.  I have pulled the earth ground and one of the hots in so far.  Two more to go and the source will be in both the main and the sub panel ready to connect.

As discussed on the other thread this is more relevant due to the pending purchase of a vehicle that actually plugs in. 

I also ordered an OpenEVSE charging station and one of their 90 amp relays.  I went ahead and ordered the full kit including the cable so the 90 amp relay won't stay in this one, but I wanted to just see how it all goes together before I buy a bunch more.   
Also for future reference, the 90 amp contactor
https://store.openevse.com/products/packard-c390c-90a-contactor-208-240vac-coil-50-60hz

75 amp J1772 cable is going to be sourced from
Rush Dougherty
TucsonEV
520 240 7493
www.TucsonEV.com

I must admit I didn't work on anything in January, to cold, and didn't want to leave the car outside.  Now that it is "warming up" I don't mind as much getting back at it.  Plus the EV motivation is stronger now.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2018, 12:15:15 AM »
I have used my bigger ladder, my chain hoist and a large steel bar to create a derrick system to pull the wire the last few feet up into the box.  I have pulled the earth ground and one of the hots in so far.  Two more to go and the source will be in both the main and the sub panel ready to connect.

Nice Jeff! Clever innovation to make up for staff shortages :)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2018, 12:15:56 AM »
I don't plan to use something like this but I am unusual.

https://www.tindie.com/products/nsayer/j1772-hydra/

You do or you don't plan on using the hydra?

michael.willuweit

« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2018, 02:56:49 PM »
Never heard of the hydra, but wow, what a cool product!

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2018, 07:54:20 PM »
At my house I shouldn't need it. 

It might be something that we build and deploy during meetings at the Yellow Box.  Any interest?  With that device in place the Dakota could charge at 2.5KW and leave 3.5KW for someone else. Since many cars charge at 3KW this could work out nicely.   

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #38 on: February 26, 2018, 06:39:20 PM »
At my house I shouldn't need it. 
Ok, i understand, just wanted to make sure.

It might be something that we build and deploy during meetings at the Yellow Box.  Any interest?  With that device in place the Dakota could charge at 2.5KW and leave 3.5KW for someone else. Since many cars charge at 3KW this could work out nicely.   

Yes definitely (or variant). i was just thinking about a "product" that could be used to spontaneously share a single EVSE.  It would have a single J1772 inlet and two J1772 cables.  Unplug an EV, plug into "hydra-like" inlet, plug both EVs in and bingo.  May want the other EV owner's permission up front :)

simon.gibson

« Reply #39 on: March 01, 2018, 03:40:28 PM »
I can build one of those - I can build panels - send me the info!
I'd like to get right on that! I think there was a link on OpenEVSE?
Also we should talk about all the communications options for these!
Simon

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #40 on: March 01, 2018, 09:49:33 PM »
For sure Simon, let's discuss the details first and then design and build (a beta version)!

A great initial beta test can be at the CCC.  My EV (dakota) wants up to 2.5kW and another EV can have the rest, up to a total of 6.6kW i think for the Clipper Creek?

i haven't looked at the Hydra in any detail yet...  i'm interested in knowing if it looks at the pilot signal from the EVSE to determine the total power available, and then negotiates and allocates the appropriate power to the two EVs.  Or is it always 50/50?

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #41 on: March 02, 2018, 05:40:38 PM »
I will almost certainly be able to donate the contactors needed for this project.  I will know more next week for sure after I do the first build. 

The charging station kits from OPENEVSE come with contactors which I replace with the larger units.  It doesn't make $ense to buy the parts separately to avoid buying the contactor, so I will have 4 or so extra contactors. 

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #42 on: March 02, 2018, 08:36:21 PM »
Excellent, thanks Jeff!  Portable EVSE sharing devices can increase the FVEAA's outreach when we need charging. i personally will need charging  very often at outreach EVents due to the limited size of the Dakota's pack.  Having one onboard to use at the CCC each month will give me much less range anxiety too.

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2018, 07:36:20 PM »
I received the full OpenEVSE kit and the 90A contactor yesterday.  The 90A contactor is close to the size of the entire OpenEVSE enclosure!  I guess I won't be putting that contactor in that enclosure.  This specific unit was just planned to be a normal unit and I bought the contactor "early" to see how it would all go together in their enclosure, and the answer is it won't.  

Looking for enclosure options now.  

On the wiring front I have the cables from the first Main panel to the first sub panel pulled through now.  I also have connected them at the Main, progress!  It does look slightly weird to see both mains with covers and no wires hanging out.  

jeffrey.miller

• Veteran
« Reply #44 on: March 08, 2018, 01:42:48 AM »
https://www.budind.com/check-stock2.shtml?product=NF-6614
This may be my favorite manufacturer site ever!
They don't sell direct, but they do list all the major retailers, what their price and stock levels are, for any enclosure you click on.  They also let you filter by interior or exterior dimensions.  I may not buy from them in the end, but not because of their web design.