Author Topic: EVSE recommendations  (Read 1634 times)

tim.moore

• Veteran
EVSE recommendations
« on: October 22, 2016, 10:51:56 PM »
Does anyone have recommendations for EVSE home "chargers" for  my Ford Focus Electric?  I want to buy one that I can remove, so not hard wired.  I have wired a lot of 120 v outlets, but no 240 v, is there a particular type of 240 plug I should use and buy that version from EVSE manufacturer?  Is Clipper Creek the best one, and is $589 a good price?

rich.rezny

Re: EVSE recommendations
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2016, 06:01:05 AM »
I bought a GE Durastation at of all places Home Depot online and had it shipped to the local store for free. Unit is a no frills charger. Just a light that indicates a fault, charging or not charging but connected. It is supposed to be hard wired but instead I put a 50 amp range cord on it. The unit is bolted to the interior wall next to the fuse panel at the shop where I work and I installed a dedicated outlet for it. It stays plugged in at all times. I put in the fuse panel a 40 amp breaker and used 6 gauge wire. I drilled thru the concrete wall of the shop and fed the charge cable thru the hole. The entire unit is weather tight but I elected to keep the electronics indoors so just the cable/j1772 plug is outdoors hanging on a hose reel. I cover the cord with a plastic bag to minimize UV exposure. The GE Durastation cost me $379. Another 15 bucks for the cord. 10 for the breaker. 15 for the outlet, cover, box and some fittings and a short piece of conduit. I bought a Duosida charge cord for home use. It has a 6-20 240vac plug on it and a connection interface plus 18 feet of cord with the j1772 connector. Cost $230 if I remember correctly. I found it on Amazon. The shop charger can draw 30 amps but we are on a 208vac three phase circuit (it only uses 2 phases). I usually charge up in less than 2 hours. The home charger is on a 20 amp 240vac circuit and can draw 16 amps so it takes a little longer to charge up. I have noticed big drop in range as the temperature drops. When it was warm like over 75 degrees or more the Guess-O-Meter range would indicate 86 or more miles. Now that it is cooler I'm lucky to see 70 miles range. I wonder what it will be like in the really cold weather. I think there is a problem with my "Go Time" thing-a-ma jig. I can't get it to turn on so I can pre-condition the HVAC system while on shore power. Well at least I have a couple more months of factory warranty.

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: EVSE recommendations
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2016, 05:00:06 PM »
Thanks Rich.  In terms of cold and hot range, I say we get 100 in summer and 75 winter, and that has been our experience for two cars  Focus in the winter.  My wife puts heat on  low and leaves it on, while also keeping the seat heater on. Putting the heat high or on and off seems to reduce range, where as a constant does better.