Author Topic: Elec-Trak E12 in Cedar Rapids  (Read 3228 times)

rich.carroll

• Veteran
Elec-Trak E12 in Cedar Rapids
« on: October 04, 2016, 11:06:20 PM »
These were promoted as the first  commercially produced all electric garden tractor.   Made by GE, these were nice units.

This is an E12 certainly large enough for areas up to an acre or two.  While this one isn't perfect, and has no batteries, it looks reasonable.  It has a snowplow attachment, certainly handy enough.  The mower deck is listed as complete, but not pictured.  The mower deck is described as "rough" which likely means, as most tractor mowers from this era, it was stored with wet grass still stuck in some places under the deck.  Likely the deck will be seriously perforated with rust that you can see through.   I am unfamiliar with the decks they used, likely they were custom stamped from sheet metal.  Fortunately, the mower drive and blade shafts don't generally rust badly; deterioration is almost always in the skin of the deck.  I would think that a deck from IH, Cub Cadet, John Deere, etc. etc. could be easily adapted, so long as you obtain the original deck to scavenge shafts, pulleys, drives, and the attaching hardware.  (The hardware generally allows quick removal of the deck so as to change implements.)  My estimation is that this if far too good to pass up, and a trip to Cedar Rapids and back is not impossible in a day. It's about a four hour drive one way.  It's for sale with an asking price of $425 (way under similar Cub Cadets, etc.)

Here is the Craigslist ad:  https://cedarrapids.craigslist.org/grd/5806970780.html

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
Re: Elec-Trak E12 in Cedar Rapids
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2016, 04:05:01 PM »
Thanks for posting Rich!  That's a nice looking E12!  The price seems reasonable given the condition and all the attachments included.

i have an E20 i bought from FVEAAer Ken Simmermon many moons ago.  i plow my driveway and pull a cart around my yard with it. 

If anyone wants to ask more questions about ETs (Elec-Traks) here, please do... i'm quite knowledgeable and willing to respond.

There is a very useful Facebook group of enthusiasts here:

https://www.facebook.com/groups/electrak/