Author Topic: Conversion vehicles available for cheap!!!  (Read 6599 times)

rich.rezny

Conversion vehicles available for cheap!!!
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:15:12 PM »
We have 2 vehicles that will be scrapped in the very near future.  The first one is a 2003 VW Jetta TDI w/ a blown engine, manual trans.  Has 300K but is in pretty good shape and has been maintained-$400.00       The second car is a 2001 BMW 740i, has 103K on it and has no transmission and the engine is blown(timing chain). Vehicle is in pretty good shape. $400.00   Contact me (Rich Rezny) at the shop @630-231-4444 or on my cell 630-673-5994 leave message.  We have the titles on hand. 

tim.moore

• Veteran
Re: Conversion vehicles available for cheap!!!
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:06:22 AM »
This is my first post in years, so I apologize if I am asking an old question, but how can conversions compete with $8,000 to 13,000 slightly used manufactured electric cars?  I am very grateful for my time with my earlier conversion, but my 2012 Ford Focus Electric is light years ahead of any conversion I saw during my eight years earlier with FVEAA.  Plus I have an 8 yr warranty, whereas, with my conversion I was my own warranty.
Shouldn't FVEAAs be buying used manufactured EVs more?

bruce.jones

• Contributor
  • 1930 Hupmobile PHEV
    • Linkedin for Bruce
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 03:44:01 AM »
Rich
Good points and thanks for posting.  Well, ask Mike Willuweit about the great deals he just got on his Plug-in Prius and all electric Mitsubishi "i"  The prices can't be beat.  But he also has the Porsche 944 conversion car for fun, so conversions still can be appropriate for making a unique car, or a "statement car."   But yes the trend is clear that there will be fewer as time goes on.  (Perhaps the way to reverse such a trend is with new technology, or if very inexpensive conversion kits become available, and/or we see a dramatic drop in battery prices etc.)

rich.rezny

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2015, 04:58:27 AM »
I put these vehicles on here because someone may still want to do a conversion. Finding a solid car was always the battle and these two vehicles are in really good shape. The cost to replace the engine/trans in the BMW is around $14K with labor but the car isn't worth anyway near that.  The Jetta needs an engine and the ones from a salvage yard are going for around $2200 plus installation and all the other things that should be done like timing belt & waterpump and again the vehicle isn't worth that much. If someone had one of these vehicles with good running gear but a damaged body these cars would be a great deal.  I also have Todd Martins Solectria Force It is for sale. It needs batteries. 13 group 27 gel lead acid or upgrade to lithium 52 CALB 100. Call me if interested and we'll talk price.

michael.willuweit

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 12:57:51 AM »
It's hard to beat the dependability and creature comforts of an OEM electric car, especially when the deals on used ones are so great. My I-Miev cost a little more than the Porsche's battery pack. But with that said, it's hard to beat the driving experience of the Porche. Plus, at 30 years old, it's a classic car that can still burn some rubber, something the Miev or Prius can't do.
And a Lithium conversion is light years ahead of a lead sled and all that battery management. And there's something to be said about the do-it-yourself factor as well.

michael.willuweit

« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2015, 01:01:29 AM »
If someone's thinking about doing a conversion, this is a great deal for pretty much everything you need.
I just wouldn't bank on $4000 back from the state.
http://store.evtv.me/proddetail.php?prod=0Siemenspecial&cat=23

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2015, 07:50:55 PM »
Your points are well taken Tim (and WELCOME BACK)! 

i'm doing a conversion because we got the Dakota donated to us and i like doing it as a club project. i also like the uniqueness factor.  Also, there are no modern and affordable EV OEM light pickups available.

The $10K for the lithium batteries will be the primary cost involved.  And an open-source BMS is being developed for people to try and further develop. 

chuck.carrington

« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2015, 09:14:53 PM »
I am trying to sell my MG conversion and when I talk to people that see the sign on the car, one question always comes up. "where do I take it for repairs?". The main reason to do a conversion now is if you want something special that is not offered, like a pickup truck or a convertible.

Chuck