Author Topic: $4,000 rebate for EV conversions in IL  (Read 16551 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
$4,000 rebate for EV conversions in IL
« on: November 18, 2007, 06:49:29 PM »
Illinois Alternative Fuels  Rebate Program

The Illinois EPA runs this program where you can receive a $4000 rebate when you convert a gasoline burning car to electric drive!  See the Illinois Green Fleets website for program information:

http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/

john.emde

• Contributor
Re: $4,000 rebate for EV conversions in IL
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2008, 11:29:02 AM »
Great news for all who have applied for their EPA rebate or just had a question if the EPA Rebate program still exists.  A customer of ours that applied last July 2007, received his check in the amount of $4000 yesterday. No fanfare, no lunchen, just a check.  Made his EV grin a little lot larger. ;D

John
Pioneer Conversions

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2008, 06:49:14 PM »
Thanks for the experiential reassurance John!  i recently talked with Mary Cruse whom administers the Green Fleets program in the IL EPA and she said she's swamped with paperwork (mostly from the alt. fuel discount requests which is also part of the program).  Expect a 6 month or more delay in getting your rebate (and as John mentioned, less fanfare due to the EPA running with skeleton staff levels).

joe.downing

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2008, 01:22:44 AM »
They must have sent them all out last week...got mine on Saturday!

michael.henry

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2008, 11:50:48 AM »

My check came Thurs.   Thrill ranks right up there with putting the first 100 mi. on my truck.   Gotta love it !
                        Mike

mark.kinnaman

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2008, 03:34:47 PM »
I am new to this forum and to EV's.  I am considering doing a conversion. But there are only 2 months left in this rebate program! I doubt that I will have a completed car in this time. Does anyone know if there is any talk of this program being extended or renewed?

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2008, 05:05:59 PM »
My understanding is that this is an ongoing program, and does not end at the end of 2008.  It is true that the state only mails checks once a year, usually in the spring.  Applications made during any calendar year are paid in the spring. If you do delay, you may miss the 2009 spring payment.  The state will look for receipts for the equipment, and will look for several pictures of the electrical equipment in place.  They have not been real picky about the photos, and do not require an inspection or proof of actual range for the rebate. I know they accepted a car with pictures of motor in place, and batteries in place, with the batteries wired, but did not notice that the main fuse was not yet in place, or a couple of other smaller things.  That car had it's pictures taken after the installation of the main items, but before every last thing was connected, and they approved the rebate on that car.

Licensing is a different issue entirely.

If you want the rebate in Spring of 2009, get started now. Submit your application with receipts and pictures and W-9 form before the end of the year.  See the instructions at: http://www.illinoisgreenfleets.org/fuels/ and scroll down to section 3. That will give you the exact procedure to get the rebate.

The State of Illinois has funded this as an ongoing program, and of course, could withdraw the program at any time in the interest of budget limitations.  I have not read any statements about ending the program, but government programs are subject to change.
Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2008, 12:28:35 AM »
i concur with Rich about the ongoing rebate program and we've heard nothing about it ending.  If you want to be absolutely sure, talk to Mary Cruse in Springfield.  

What Mary told me this spring is that they process the rebates twice per year.  The most important rule as far as dates go, is that you must submit your paperwork in the same calendar year that you finish the conversion.  If you finish in December, they will accept it up to Jan 31st.  Mary said she's been swamped by fuel rebates (part of the same program) so the checks are running about 6 months after submissions.  She also said she plans to retire in the Spring and nobody else knows what to do (but she's been saying that for a couple of years now:-).  This is the least 'hoop jumping' government rebate program i know of... just keep your receipts organized!

craig.dusing

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2008, 06:09:53 PM »
Just to add to the info:

I submitted my application in May 2008 for my conversion completed in April 2008.  I received one phone call in August regrding a question on the application, and then received my check two weeks ago.  When I spoke to the lady in August, she told me that the majority of the applications are filed at year end, and also told me they were very busy processing fuel rebates.  Over all though, the application process went very smoothly.  I would expect 5-6 months wait time.

Craig

mark.kinnaman

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2008, 01:16:08 PM »
Looks like I mis-read the program. This is good news. Thanks for clearing this up. I think I can see an EV in my future after all.  ;D

nathan.stowe

• mysmartev
« Reply #10 on: December 10, 2008, 07:03:23 PM »
I am about to send in my rebate request for the conversion that I did.  I have a stack of receipts.  Does anyone have experience for how they like to see the receipts?  Do they need to know exactly what a part was used for, or simply that it was part of the conversion?  Any general tips?   

Thanks,

Nathan.

michael.henry

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2008, 01:03:58 AM »

Just copy the receipts. Several on a page for the smaller ones. Make sure the company logo or letter head shows. Harris battery, Netgain, or whatever. Send them in with your form. Parts total over 4k.
 Don't expect a check until maybe June though.

Mike

matt.kenigson

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2008, 02:07:04 AM »
At least you guys get checks.  Does anyone have any good ideas on the best way to lobby for a similar program here in TN?

Matt Kenigson

rich.carroll

• Veteran
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2009, 01:03:08 AM »

Just copy the receipts. Several on a page for the smaller ones. Make sure the company logo or letter head shows. Harris battery, Netgain, or whatever. Send them in with your form. Parts total over 4k.
 Don't expect a check until maybe June though.

Mike

Let me clarify a little.  You will get a rebate for 80% of the costs of an EV conversion, up to a $4000 rebate.  Obviously you need to submit receipts showing more than $5000 in labor and parts to get the maximum of $4000 in the rebate.

Rich Carroll                           rc@rc.to

todd.dore

• Veteran
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2009, 05:04:44 AM »
Just got my rebate check for Electric Bug.  I submitted the mountain of receipts in November.  Nice to get some $$ back for my investment!

Anyone else receive anything yet?