Author Topic: Used Electric Cars: About To Get Big, What You Need To Know  (Read 2684 times)

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
http://www.greencarreports.com/news/1098496_used-electric-cars-about-to-get-big-what-you-need-to-know

We've all watched the EV market develop and now like with any market, an aftermarket!
Oh... oh... a used Leaf may be in my future.  i want to be able to drive from Wheaton to anywhere in the Chicago area and back without gasoline.  My S10 never could and either will the Dakota.  But a Leaf can (i need 60-70 miles) and now possibly without "breaking the bank"!

jeremy.mclean

Re: Used Electric Cars: About To Get Big, What You Need To Know
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2015, 06:36:44 PM »
What sounds interesting about this as well is that I could buy a used leaf strip all the goodies inside and put them into my car.  From the research I have done a basic DC/lead acid set up will cost approx 10K.  Then it will still be an experiment to get everything rolling well.   For the same cash or less I could get a leaf and put a proven system in a car that I like and want to be seen driving in.

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2015, 10:05:13 PM »
Great Jeremy!  And you'd probably one of the first humans (out of 7.3 billion) to do such a project.  Do it! And let me know if/how i can help too :-)

bruce.jones

• Contributor
  • 1930 Hupmobile PHEV
    • Linkedin for Bruce
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2015, 11:23:58 PM »
Just be careful who you purchase the used EV from.  As we heard, some dealers who have hybrid electrics (EREVs) don't realize that a Volt for example needs to be plugged in!   So they are being run solely on gas.  Have the batteries checked thoroughly if purchasing from a dealer.
 The EAA magazine ran some great articles last year about a "wreckla" which was a wrecked Tesla and fixed up.  Not for the feint of heart.  http://www.electricauto.org/global_engine/download.asp?fileid=696758e5-0af4-4e91-9cb5-64215e8b6fc9&ext=pdf&hhSearchTerms=%22wreckla%22

ted.lowe

• Guru
  • '00 Dakota EV
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2015, 05:06:26 PM »
Good caution Bruce!  Yes, do your homework!  We've long told people (the public and newer members), a conversion is "Not a weekend project.".  Especially for what you are considering Jeremy.   And look at our Prez. Bruce with is cool new car and project ideas!  Sweet times to be an EVer :-)